The long walk home

According to the shopping center police, some local teenagers had been seen loitering around my car before it had been vandalized

Luckily your car was covered with insurance and given your organizations excellent  reputation,  the car insurance representatives showed up in less than an hour. 
They apologized for the inconveniences and left.

"Should I call a cab?" You asked Dan and Phil.

"No car is available in the area." Phil responded girmly.

"Well we should start walking." You responded feeling fustrated with the events that had taken place.

Dan and Phil looked at eachother skeptically. "It's going to be a really long walk Hazal." Dan commented as he caught up with you.

"Well then we better start walking." You reply as you continue to walk.

Dan and Phil start walking with you.  The first few minutes pass in silence.  And as you three walk up a hill, Dan suddenly trip and you find yourself grabbing him so that he doesn't fall flat on his face. 

"Dan I know a new day has started but can you for the love of God go one day without injuring yourself?" You rhetorically question Dan.

"That's the most physically impossible thing for Dan to do." Phil mocked Dan.

"Haha Phil. You are so funny. " Dan exclaimed.

You and Phil start laughing. The three of you continue to walk in silence for a while more when Phil starts suddenly, "So Hazal, what exactly is your job?"

"Yeah, a car insurance service so efficient. You have got to be working for a high end company."

"It's a recruiting agency called  (y/c), they operate throughout the Middle East. They were looking for some new employees to increase diversity in their London office hence I got the job."

They seemed relatively impressed.

"Seriously guys? You guys have net worth of more than two million dollars and you are impressed by my car insurance company?" You questioned them.

"You actually have a job you can brag about in front of your older relatives." Phil explained.

"And a college degree you actually use." Dan added.

"You two are seriously weird. I mean I know people who would kill for your lifestyle. You guys are not grateful enough." you comment.

"Not all that glitters is gold." Dan comments.

Suddenly you get a flashback of your childhood when you were standing in a line to pay your bills. You remember thinking about how the other line was moving faster, and switched your places to the other line and suddenly the line where you had been standing in started to move faster and it took you longer to reach the counter than it would have originally taken you.

"I call it the waiting in line effect. That you always think that the line your not standing in is moving faster and is more efficient while in reality that's not true." You comment.

 Phil and Dan nodded in agreement.

And so the entire walk the three of you contemplated about life and existence. The conversation got so honest and raw that Dan brought up his existential crises and you honestly thought you would roll your eyes but you found it very introspective. It helped you realize that in many ways that you were holding yourself back form being a more fun and loving person. You were keeping yourself from being vulnerable. And because you had been focusing so much energy on protecting yourself you were exhausted when it came to feeling anything  positive because no positive emotions were left in you.

"Oh my God! I must be boring you." Dan smacked his face in embarresment.

"No. Actually I think it's great you bought it up infact I feel the same..."

Stop it Hazal! What are you doing? 

You heard your head scold you for letting yourself feel vulnerable.

"What is it?" Phil asked in much concern.

"Oh nothing!" you respond in fluster.

Dan and Phil exchanged looks and Dan began "Hazal, it's okay if you don't feel comfortable talking about yourself too much."

"Yeah we just find it easier to deal with slightly awkward social situation by interacting."

You passed them a smile. And your heard your heart say, "Free yourself from your vulnerabilities by allowing them to exist."

"No I actually feel really comfortable around you guys. It's just that," you fidgeted around with your nails,  and continued, " I guess I don't have my life completely figured out as well. I came to London to have a better life but honestly as distant and secluded I find myself here I feel as if my life is just getting worse. Like I don't have a life. Like I wake up everyday and go through this routine everyday and force myself to like a lifestyle I am living that I don't even like that much. I just don't know what I am doing."

You looked at Dan hoping that his pondering sessions of existential crises would enlighten you. Instead he just looked up at the dark sky and responded.  "Looks like we are all a little lost, just trying to find ourselves in this darkness."

To be honest that was the most hopeful thing  you had heard in a long while.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The three of you had reached the flat by 3:00 PM exhausted and defeated.

Luckily the Pizza place near your flat was open and delivering at this hour. You three ate a pizza, had a light chat and all headed to bed.

You had went to the kitchen to grab a glass of water when Dan approached from behind and also reached for the glass of water. Dan's earlier comment kept itching you so you decided to ask him.

"Hey Dan?" You called out.

"Yeah?" Dan replied.

"Do you ever think hat we will find our way?" You asked earnestly.

He walks towards you and stands besides you leaning on the counter.

"I have a theory." Dan started as he took a sip from his glass.

"Okay."

" I think, I could be wrong, that we all will end up running into people who are equally lost as us but in different dimensions and while they guide us on the path that we are lost on, we will guide them on the path they are lost in." He explained.

"And how will these people find each other?" You asked intrigued by Dan's theory.

"You just have to keep your eyes open for the person ho doesn't seem so lost according to you." Dan looked you straight in the eyes as he replied. Something about the way he said it made you blush. Like (you weren't sure) he was talking about you.

"Okay. Umm I'll keep my eyes open. Thanks." You awkwardly respond and head into your room.

And as you head to sleep and your eyes close you remembered the way he talked about finding someone who doesn't seem so lost to you. And something about it made you feel so enlightened and free that your walls that seemed so closed up and hard, had opened up and you could finally breathe.