"You ignored it, didn't you? The note."

Sighing, I released my foot, and leant back, balancing myself on both my arms. "I'm sorry. I wasn't in the mood."

"No, I don't mind. You were probably tired, or something like that." Staring intently at the pine table before him, he grazed his teeth on his bottom lip. "Don't worry about it."

"You're not angry?"

"Me? Not at all. No." He fiddled with his thumbs, but I chose to ignore his nervous air.

"Oh. Well, good."

I tugged the ends of my hair with one hand, catching Karlton's attention.

"Your hair's different." He gestured to one side of his face. "The fringe thing? It looks nice."

"Thanks. I got hit in the eye, so I thought it'd be best to cover the swelling." Putting both my hands together, I busied myself with some simple wind casting and kept my eyes down.

"Let's see." I pulled my hair back, and Karlton sucked in a breath. "Have you put something cold on it?"

"I did the night before. I only got it yesterday."

He came over, giving me more advice as he turned my face between his hands, and swallowed when his eyes met mine. His grip on my jaw tightened, but he pulled back quickly and coughed into his hand, glancing away.

"What's it like being a caster?" I stood up with him and folded my arms, raising an eyebrow.

"I can't really say. It's just so normal to me. Perhaps I could comment on the hassle of keeping my abilities at their peak, but it's no different than keeping one's overall health in good shape. Do you know any casters? I'm surprised you took to it as easily as you did."

"My uncle's one. He'd always show off for me when I was a kid."

"But it's hard to become an immortal," I said, without thinking evidently. At least my tone didn't betray me. "So I've heard. With all the tasks and trials you have to do, and the talks with the local chief along with the Conversion Ceremony, it's surprising that there's such a large number of immortals."

"...I've read about it," Karlton quipped, but his eyes were on his wrist clock.

"Don't let me keep you. And, uh, if you'd like, we can find each other later. Six, let's say?"

"That'd be nice. I'll be in my room. Mine's B5."

"Fine. I'll see you." He nodded, turning on his heel.

"Later, Bo."

At noon, I lay on my bed, fresh from a wash and dog-tired. I realised it'd been just over two days since Jacob had left. He'd promised to call soon.

"But he might not even be home yet."

My thoughts turned to the shiny, black telephone resting nearby on the wall. Even though I'd been shown how to use it, I'd forgotten just as quickly as I'd been instructed. But I rummaged around for Jacob's list of contacts, anyway; a few tries on my own might've been enough to jog my memory.

"Okay, so the numbers are...And I just turn the dial this many times..." Finally, the phone started to ring, and I pressed the receiver to my ear.

"Hello, who this? Hello? Hello?!"

"Sorry, wrong number!" I slammed the receiver down, my other hand out to try again.

"Hello?" Jacob's voice was low, as though he'd had all his energy drained right out of him.

"Jacob, it's Gale."