Time with Mommy

Jasmine’s POV:

“Mommy!” I screeched running over to Mommy.

“Hey baby,” My mother said embracing me in a hug. I ain’t talk to my mother in a few months with school and spending extra time with Genesis. I decided to wear my purple jogging suit with my black and purple Nike sneakers.

“What’s with the whole new look?” My mother asked smiling at me.

“Well I’ll explain that to you a little later,” I said smiling at my mother. We sat down at a table and ordered some food at the IHOP on Bergen Street.

“So what’s up with this new look?” My mother asked me.

“Well I met a new guy, and me and Louis had to break up cuz I caught him in this very IHOP with another chick, and quite frankly I just didn’t want to be in a relationship with him anymore, as much as you liked him Momma I just couldn’t do it anymore. I was in a relationship for three years with him for everyone else and not me,” I explained to her taking a big breath at the end of my speech.   

“Baby, the real reason I loved you so much with Louis is because I wanted you to learn from him, from how loving and childlike he was. I just wanted you to learn from that so that you could learn to have some fun. But if this new guy makes you feel better then I can’t disagree with you, it’s your life, and I’m glad your making decisions that make you happy,” my mother said.

“Thank you mommy,” I said smiling up at my mother.

“So who’s the new guy?”

“Well his name is Genesis and he is like my perfect man. He’s tall dark and has dreads. He’s an accountant and he has a daughter who’s like six or something, he’s really sweet and I been using some of my charm on him that you taught me,” I said smiling.

“Getting you somewhere ain’t it?” My mother asked as she started eating me grits.    

“Where do you think this college student got these new clothes from?” I asked smiling eating my eggs.

“So how long have ya’ll be going out?” My mother asked.

“About, hmmm, six months so not that long,” I responded.

“So who has sad I love you first?” she asked.

“He did, I’m kind of trying to avoid it,” I admitted honestly.

“Why is that?” My mother asked.

“I hate being vulnerable.”

“Well you have to in a relationship so that he knows what he’s doing isn’t in vain.”

“I know but I don’t want to get my heart broken, I hate the thought of anyone potentially having more power over myself than I do.”

“Jasmine you won’t be able to really experience true love if you don’t admit your feelings to him.”

“All right momma.”

“Your brother and sister have been asking about you for the longest now you have to call them or something.”

“I will but how are they?”

“Joi’s doing good at the High School she hasn’t been in any trouble lately, Jep just wants to talk to his sister, but he’s still on Meccah.”

“I love that little girl for Jepthaw, but I’ll call them when I get back to my place,” I told her deciding not to tell her I was staying with Genesis because I know how she feels about that.

After my lunch went back to Genesis house to hear him yelling at someone.

“Cathy I said get out, the last thing I need is for Jasmine to come home and think that I’ve lost my mind,” Genesis yelled.

“Are you really going to throw away our friendship for some girl?” Cathy asked. Without a minute to spare, Genesis answered her.

“Hell the fuck yes, now get the fuck out of m house,” Genesis said with finality.

“You heard him,” I said opening the door.

“This is absolutely ridiculus,” Cathy yelled.

“I kickied your ass before and I’ll kick it again. Now get the fuck out,” I said standing in front of him.

“Bitch you lay a finger on me I will get my lawyer,” Cathy said.

Did this bitch really just threaten me with the mother fucking law.

“Well then I guess he’s going to have to put up with me,” Eli said walking in with Nettie.

“Damine,” Nettie screeched running up to me.

“Hey baby, well looks like I’m covered,” I said smiling at Cathy. Cathy grunted before she walked out of the complex.

“Oh my darling you saved me from the evil white witch,” I said in a southern bell accent running over to Eli giving him a hug. He hugged me back. I feel so short around them.

“Exscuse me, but I’m your man now get over here and give me a hug,” Genesis said.

“Nettie first,” I said laughing putting her down so that she could go say hi to her father.

When she was done I went over to Genesis holding my arms out like I was a baby for him to pick me up. I wrapped my arms around his waist and kissed him.

“Hi daddy,” I said in a baby voice.

“Hi baby,” Genesis said. I smiled at my beautiful black man.