1st Rose, 1st Date

Jasmine POV:

As promised Genesis called me today.

“Hello Genesis,” I answered.

“Hi Damine, it’s Nettie,” Nettie said through the phone.

“Nettie how’d you get your daddies phone?” I asked smiling at her.

“I took it he makin’ me a sandwich for dinner,” She said.

“Okay so what he makin you?” I asked sittin down on the couch with my laptop.

“mac n’ cheese, when are ya’ll goin on your date?” She asked.

“I don’t know he hasn’t called me yet,” I replied laughing.

“Nettie girl who you talking to?” I heard Genesis say over the phone.

“I’m talkin’ to Damine she said she gonna come over for dinner with us,” Nettie said excitedly.

“Nettie I didn’t say that,” I said through the phone.

“But Damine, you said you were going to be my friend,” Nettie said her voice quivering.

“Alright Nettie, I’ll be right over,” I said hanging up the phone. I put my laptop up in my room and got dressed in some jeans and suspenders and a tank top with my fedora on my head and my gladiator sandals ready to go.  I hoped in my ride driving jammin’ to the radio and drove up to Genesis’ house. When I got up to their door I barely knocked before Nettie opened the door and threw herself around my leg.

“Damine you came,” she said cheerfully.

“Yeah kiddo, you tricked me into it,” I said smiling and patting her hazel cork screw curls and looking at her adorable young face.

“C’mon daddies finishing dinner,” Nettie said pulling on my arm.

“Take your shoes off so you can feel at home,” Genesis said walking through the door wiping him hands with a dish cloth. He looked good he had on sweat pants and a tank top that hugged his muscles and his dreads were pulled back into a ponytail. My mouth was starting to water and it wasn’t from the food.

“So what’s for dinner,” I said taking my shoes off.

“Mac and cheese and I made some codornices en petalos de rosa (Quail in Rose Petals).”

“Quail in Rose Petals, where’d you learn how to make that?” I asked smiling at his shocked face.

“I saw the movie como agua para chocolate,” Genesis said honestly leading me to the dinning room while Nettie held my had to walk with us.

“Oh como te gusta (how did you like it)?” I asked testing to see how he watched it with a grin on my face.

“Girl what you say?” he asked smiling.

“I asked how’d you like it?” I said laughing at him.

“Oh it was weird,” He said simply.

“Well Spanish literature is a little more dramatic than ours, but the messages are still the same,” I explained taking in the room. I was well designed, with a chandlier hanging over the table and a round table with five chairs in place.

“So how did you learn about the movie?” He asked.

“I read it in Spanish.” I said smiling as he pulled out his chair for his daughter. The way he treated his daughter was so beautiful because as much as the world would believe that black men don’t take care of they babies, there are some of them that do, and every time he does something for her it just makes my heart go out to him.