"My apologies, Signore." Alessandro bowed his head, lips pressing into a tight line. A deaf person could have heard the restrained venom in his voice.

"So, if I may ask —"

You may. Alessandro could practically hear the Greek snicker. A grin tugged at Alessandro's lips, before he willed his features back into the hard nothingness. Give him no reason...

"— why you're sitting around while Venice's greatest thief is parading around in broad daylight? This is your case, Steno, you're failing it!"

"La Ombra only appears at night, Signore." His way of emphasizing the 'Signore' was a punch he couldn't actually throw. "For two years he's only ever acted in the cover of night. And never in such close proximity to another break-in. He always waits for things to calm down. Months pass."

"Don't you lecture me, boy! I know he broke into that palace just two nights ago!"

"Then you must also know he's a man of habit. Why should he suddenly change patterns?"

"Is this my job or yours?" Lucio asked. "Answer!"

"Mine, Signore."

"Then do it!"

"Signore, this is impossible. He can't —"

"Then you and your horrible investigations have made it possible! Apparently he feels safe enough to rob Venice's most noble families in broad daylight!" Lucio looked like one of those mad dogs, jumping up and down, having spit fly around as they barked their souls out. "But of course, you nobles don't need to put effort into anything, mommy and daddy will make sure you have a good life on silk cushions." He sent Alessandro a venomous smile, as fake as his polite nod when he stepped out of the door.

Alessandro closed his eyes and took a deep breath. Exhaled slowly. "I will be on my way, Signore."

It had been a good day, really.

Until Lucio. Until those news. Until La Ombra. La Ombra — the Shadow — was always bad news. But the Shadow breaking into a palace at noon, that was bad news.

———————

The Shadow ... Alessandro turned the word around slowly in his head as he made his way over Saint Marcus' square. La Ombra ...

The Shadow was Venice's living myth. A thief. Not the kind of thief you found in the streets, poor and hungry and dirty.

He was a master of the night, broke into the palaces of the richest and most noble and left no traces. Only a strange symbol, carved somewhere, like a signature: a downward half circle, with five lines drawn from it. Alessandro had first thought it was an upside down setting sun -- it was a closed eye. Without it, no one would even notice anyone had been there.

Except of course, the several riches missing. Alessandro scoffed. The thief seemed to possess a fine taste in luxuries.

He was a creature of the night, no one had ever seen or heard him. He was the shadow of Venice.

Alessandro had been tasked with finding the culprit long ago. It was the only case he had not solved. Yet.

The Shadow couldn't be caught. There were several stories circulating through the city, each more ludicrous than the other. It was said he could turn into a bodiless shadow to slip in and out unnoticed. Some said he was a supernatural creature, with red eyes and horns that came out of the water in the lagoon every night. He'd hoard treasures in a cave deep in the ocean.