10th Chappie

A.N. Hi everyone! Hope you are all well! Please let me know what you think of the latest chapter of WDR. :) If you would like to vote or comment it would mean a lot! Thanks heaps!!!

The hot shower had been exactly what I needed. I slipped out of the shower cubical and wrapped a soft, pink towel around me. I glanced around the now steam-filled room. I hoped I hadn’t spent too much time in the water but it was just so heavenly. Panic pumped through me as I noticed my clothes were gone from the floor. I had basically stripped off and jumped in. I hadn’t even bothered to hang up my clothes. I was being the worst house guest ever. What the hell was I meant to wear though? A gentle knock on the door made me jump but I walked over and cracked it open slightly. The older man from the beach smiled at me and gestured to a pile of neatly folded clothes in his hand.

“Oh, thank-you so much!” I smiled accepting the gift awkwardly through the door and only one handed.

“I hope they fit alright until your clothes dry. I have put them through the wash and they are currently on the line.”

“Thank-you again and thank-you for allowing me to use your home.”

“Not a problem. Now get warmed up. We will be in the dining room.”

I walked through the house moving between rooms glancing at all the photographs. I had found some of church community gatherings and other functions but no family photos. Where were the images of Alex? Or Craig? The two of them were nowhere to be seen in the entire place. I finally found the two men sitting at the corner of a small wooden dining table. Alex flicked his gaze up to see me and smiled.

“Feeling better now?” He must have used another bathroom as he was already dressed in other clothes. His hair was still damp and tiny drops of water glistened in the sun softly peering through the window behind him. He now sported an old t-shirt and jeans which hugged his body in just the right way. I nodded and began to feel self-conscious in the top and skirt which I had borrow. The skirt was a little too short for my liking so I quickly sat down before he could make a comment.

“I didn’t know what to do with the towel so I just placed it on the rail.” I turned my attention to Alex’s father.

“Not a problem.” The older man smiled. “Would you like a spot of tea or coffee?”

“Coffee sounds fantastic.” I smiled at the idea. Coffee would wake me up and get my thoughts back to together.

Once the older man had left Alex looked at me and raised an eyebrow.

“So…how are you really?” I took a deep breath and faced him properly from my seat on the opposite side of the table.

“Better…so you grew up here huh?” I looked around and took in the beautiful ocean scenery from the glass French doors. I could just image the cool breeze washing off the ocean.

“What are you talking about?” His confusion brought my eyes back to him.

“So this isn’t your family home?” A laugh erupted from him and caused his body to vibrate. The sound seemed to echo around the house and caused a smile to twitch at the corner of my mouth. “What’s so funny?”

“Father Malcolm isn’t my actual father. He’s my family priest.” He managed to mumbled between chuckles. A blush rose to my face and embarrassment washed over my entire body. I had completely misread the situation and made a fool of myself. No wonder there were no photos of Alex and Craig when they were younger. This wasn’t their house.

“Idiot.” I groaned and placed my forehead down on the table, avoiding the smirk from the man in front of me.

“A very cute one.” I shook my head. “Especially when you’re feisty.”

“Shut up, Alex. I’m not in the mood.”

“I never know what to expect when I’m with you.” His voice was soft now and attempting to be soothing.

“Thanks, I think.” I shrugged raising my head again. There was probably a massive pink mark on my forehead from resting against the wood making me look like an even bigger idiot.

“It’s a compliment.”

“Kay, do you have sugar?” Father Malcolm called from the kitchen. I watched Alex carefully as he smiled.

“Yes, two please.”

It turns out Father Malcolm was a bit of a baker. He whipped up a batch of cookies and instructed us to get comfortable in the lounge room. The cookie was crispy on the outside and soft in the middle, just the way I liked it.
“These are amazing, Father.” I praised the older man. “What is your secret?”

“They are rather moist.” Alex eyed me from across the room. I watched totally captivated by the way his tongue dipped out and collected the strain crumbs on his lower lip. Damn it, the lust was building again. I was in the presence of a holy man and I was getting hot, I was obviously not the best Christian girl. Father Malcolm didn’t seem to notice my lapse in sanity and continued on with a proud smile.

“I could tell you but then I’d have to kill you.” A twinkle of mischief appeared in his eyes as he gave me a wink.

“So how long have you known Alex? Was he a good church-goer?” I asked flicking my gaze between the two men.

“Alex? Oh he used to hate every second of it. Thought the songs and sermons were boring, would tell me so if he got the chance. Then once I asked him to design a sermon for the Sunday church. It had to be appropriate of course and would include readings and follow along a theme.” Father Malcolm chuckled at the memory.

“How did it go?”

“It was hard as. I had to work on it every day after school for almost two weeks.” Alex joined in. “This old man never let me off though. Always said I had to show him the finished product by the following Sunday. So I did.”

“What was it like?” I asked.

“It was brilliant, a true work of art. The theme was the meaning of marriage and what it represents.” I sat in silence as I soaked in the words. Alex believed in love and marriage. That was one I had never thought he would discuss.

“How old was he?”

“Eleven.”

“That’s beautiful.” I whispered.