16th Chappie

We reached the centre of town and decided to stop for a coffee with a map spread out in the middle of the table. I sipped on my flat white and enjoyed the burn of the liquid down my throat. I had never felt so awake. Mads, having picky tastebuds, sat with her chocolate frappe and played around with her iPad. She flicked through the screens locating any churches in the area.

“This is hopeless, I didn’t even find out the names of his friends getting married or where!” I groaned in frustration. I had been so caught up in my own life I hadn’t even bothered to find out more about him. Alex was a guy I had met in a pub, who had taken a bet and done body shots with random strangers. He was unique and I have completely blown it.

“Don’t lose hope, I’m making a list of all possible churches and calling up asking if there is a wedding on today.” Mads said.

“I don’t even know when the wedding is!” I said in defeat. “This is god punishing me for being so stupid.”

“Don’t say that, love with always win-” I froze in shock as an incredibly familiar man walked into the café.

“-Father Malcolm!” I gasped out loud. The older man turned in our direction and gave a smile that didn’t reach his eyes. He obviously knew about my breakup with Alex, if that is what it could be called. This was my chance to set things right. I looked up at the heavens and whispered to myself. “Thanks, I really owe you one.”

“Who is he?” Mads asked in hushed tones.

“Alex’s family priest. Father Malcolm is my ticket to finding Alex!” I cheered as I ushered the older man over. He was standing in line with a menu in his hand but decided to join us instead. “What can I get you, Father?” Mads asked politely. She was already up and standing as he reached the table.

“A tea would be lovely, thank you.” He replied taking a seat opposite me.  Mads nodded and went to go stand in line again.

“Father, I need your help.” I pleaded. “I really screwed up and I don’t know how to make it up to him.” Father Malcolm nodded and finally the twinkle in his eyes returned.

“In need of a little direction to the fire station?”

My lower lip wobbled and I simply nodded. I was starting to lose hope of ever finding him. Father Malcolm reached across the table and rested his hand over the top of mine. “Don’t worry child. You’ll find him.”

“Father, I really don’t know if he will even speak to me.”

“Good.” He smiled. “You can do all the talking and he can listen for once in his life. Do you know the reason I was so hard on him to complete his own service?” I shook my head. “It’s because his life at home and school wasn’t going so well. He was getting into fights in the playground and his father was getting remarried to his school’s principal. I saw the turmoil in his mind and I knew he needed something to focus on. Instead of venting his frustration with his fists, I made him talk to me.”

“I had no idea.” I said. “But what does this have to do with me?”

“Alex needed to be heard by his family. It was how he and his father reconnected, a little. Now it is your turn to use that voice God gave you.” Father Malcolm explained as Mads came back with the tea in hand. “Why thank you, Mads.” My best friend looked like he had just read her tarot cards and told her she was going to be a millionaire.

“How did you know my name?” She asked, handing him the tea and returning to her seat.

“Alex isn’t the most secretive individual.” He chuckled to himself.

“So, we got ourselves a location?” Mads looked between the two of us.

“He is staying at Cambridge Lodge Guest House on Cambridge Street. You aren’t too far away, I’m sure you could look it up on your iPad for directions.”

“A man who knows his technology, I think we will be good friends already.” Mads smiled as the old priest winked.

We were parked on the side of the road in front of a news agent and just around the corner from the Cambridge Lodge Guest House. I was beginning to feel nervous and my stomach had joined the circus with the amount of flips it was doing.

“I don’t think I can do this.” I mumbled to myself. I bit my lower lip and tried to swallow my panic, it didn’t work. Mads returned to the car with a paper bag in hand. She slipped out the magazine she had bought and handed the bag to me.

“Something special for you.” She smiled. My curiosity got the better of me and I reached inside. I felt a cardboard type texture and pulled the item out into the light. My eyes widened as I saw the barely clothed group of men in fireman uniforms spread across the cover.

“You got me the fire-fighter calendar?” I gasped in surprise.

“I saw it and couldn’t resist. September, remember.” I didn’t need the reminder as I gingerly flicked the pages over to my birthday month. There he was, in all his godly-glory. My mouth dried and Mads had to wave a hand in front of my face to stop me drooling. Yes, he was so amazingly sexy but it wasn’t his body which had stolen my attention. Just glancing at his face brought all our secret moments together back into my mind; the ocean, the pub, the bike ride, the pool, the goodbye. “You have to go now. He’s coming this way.”

“What?” Panicked that I might lose my chance to tell him how I really felt, I scrambled out of the car, flinging my seat belt away as I did. I still had the calendar huddled in my arms as I ran across the road. He was walking across the grass area of a small park and hadn’t seemed to notice me yet. I dodged a woman and her tiny Chihuahua, which yapped at me for almost squishing it. I hastily apologised over my shoulder as I kept running.

“Alex!” I called; my voice was hoarse now and barely a yelp. He turned in my direction and instantly I stopped in my tracks. His eyes were hard and unyielding, his mouth was shaped into a thin line and his unshaved chin spouted the start of a beard. He wasn’t happy to see me. That much I could work out without even speaking. I pushed on though; I needed him to hear me. I said nothing and continued to walk slowly towards him. He remained frozen in the centre of the park like an angry statue and I had to fight my fear to run away. I was more terrified to face Alex than I had been with Richard. It had to mean something. Surely, it meant that there was still a chance for me to make this right.