2nd Chappie

Warning this chapter and future chapters may include some periodic swearing. It is pretty infrequent and I hope that it does not offend anyone. Hope you enjoy this chapter. Please comment to let me know what you think. Cheers! P.S. The road trip was inspired by the movie "Elizabethtown". Great film and I recommend it. I own nothing to do with Elizabethtown.

_______________

“I can’t believe we are doing this.” Mads laughed as she placed some clothes into her suitcase.

“I know right! We are finally going to take that road trip that we planned in high school and getting back at Dick is just a bonus.” I smiled; the first real smile since I was left at the altar. Mads was so neat, even if we were wanting to leave straight away, she still folded everything before zipping up her suitcase. “Oh and we must take music!”

“Well you have your ipod and so do I. There is also a book full of CD’s on the kitchen bench if you want to take them as well.” Mads explained as she searched for something else in her wardrobe. The two of us rushed around Mads’ apartment, laughing as we stacked our travel bags high. “You’ve made me get excited about this too, you know.” Mads laughed.

“I can’t wait till we are on the road but I am going to need some clothes of my own.”

“Meaning stopping at your family’s place.” My aura seemed to deflate at the mention of my family. I wasn’t in the mood to see my insensitive mother or my bitchy younger sister. The thought of talking to my dad didn’t sound like too bad of an idea though. My dad and I were always the closest in the family. I don’t know how my dad had married my mum, she was so cold-hearted. “Kay?” Mads whispered snapping me out of daze.

“Sorry, yeah, we’ll make a quick stop at my place and then we are off!”

We pulled up in front of my house, well my family’s house. I had moved in a week before the wedding. Dick was a little old fashioned. Now I guess he was working out a way to get rid of me. I bit my tongue in an attempt to stop myself from saying something bitter. This was going to be a fun road trip. I knew it was because I wanted to get revenge but what was the harm in having some fun too? I opened the front door and glanced around. My family was nowhere to be seen. A sigh of relief left my lips just as I heard a crash in the kitchen.

“Fuck!” I heard a familiar voice scream. I rolled my eyes. Lucy-Bree. Mads gave me an encouraging smile as we ventured into the kitchen. A plate had obviously smashed on the tiled floor and shattered, sending shards of china everywhere. Standing in the centre of the room was my younger sister, Lucy-Bree. My sister looked like a wreck, her hair was a complete mess, her make-up made her look like a frickin’ clown and she was still wearing her slutty little purple dress from the day before.

“Hello Lucy-Bree.” I said slowly.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” she snapped at me, finally acknowledging my existence.

“We are here to pick up some stuff and then leave.” Mads jumped in politely, she was always trying to make sure Lucy-Bree and I didn’t break into a cat-fight on the floor. “We’ll just be here for a minute, so carry on with whatever it is you are doing.” I glanced down at the floor and picked up one of the plate shards.

“This is Grandma’s china!” I said in shock. “What the hell are you doing with her plates?” I gasped realising there was no hope for the plate.

“Oh please, it’s not like she’s coming back to claim ‘em any time soon. God, chill Katherine.” Before I could swear my head off at my younger sister a familiar sound of high-heels greeted me. I knew it was my mother before she even entered the room. She was wearing a thick perfume that probably cost more than the family home, she always wore it.

“Girls, how lovely to see you.” My mother lied.

“Hello mother.” I greeted her.

“Oh what is this mess?” My mother stared at the floor in disgust. “Bruce! Bruce! Where the fuck is that man?” my mother screeched. You would probably look at my mother and think she was the most well-presented woman on earth but as soon as she wanted something, she turned into a giant bitch. I can’t honestly remember how I had dealt with living in this house. I don’t have many good memories of my childhood. They were all snatched away by my brat of a sister and serpent of a mother.

“Where’s dad?” I interrupted my mother mid-rant.

“Oh he is probably curled up in his study, pathetic man, really.” My mother spat. I took a deep breath and left the two present members of my family and headed for the study with Mads.

“They really are charming, aren’t they?” Mads shook her head unsurprised. “Who is Bruce anyway?”

“Oh that’s our new butler…why anyone would take a job under my mother is beyond me.” I sighed.

“Wait, new butler? What happened to Jeremy? He was always so sweet.” Mads looked distraught. I laughed at her expression.

“Mother fired him about two months ago. You only thought he was sweet because you had the hots for him.” I winked.

“Did not.”

Mads suggested that she go and pack my clothes for me while I had some alone time with my dad. She really did understand me perfectly. I slipped into the study to see my dad sitting in his armchair doing the newspaper’s latest crossword.

“Hey dad.” I whispered, hoping that I wasn’t disturbing him. “Is this a bad time?” My dad looked up from the paper and gave me a bright smile. He jumped out of his seat and crushed me to him in a hug.

“Poppet, how are you holding up?” he whispered kissing my forehead. “Are you ok?” I nodded slowly, fighting the tears. My dad released me from the hug and held me at arm’s length.

“Mads and I are going on a road trip…to clear my head.” I half lied. I didn’t want my dad to be disappointed in me.

“So do you know where he is?” I looked at him in confusion. “Well you probably will need to know where he is before you go and kill him.” My dad winked at me.

“How did you know?” I gasped. My dad chuckled and patted my arm gently.

“Your old man is still kicking you know? I can tell when you are up to something; you are my daughter after all. I think Richard is rather lucky to only meet you.”

“What do you mean?”

“You poppet, will definitely maim him and I’m sure he will be sorry after you are finished with him but…if he ever sees your old man again, let’s just say that you’d be attending a funeral.” My dad chuckled at his own joke.

“You are crazy.” I smiled as I gave him another hug.

“I am old; I’m allowed to be crazy. You though, poppet, be careful. Revenge may seem sweet now but just make sure it doesn’t hurt you more in the process.”

Mads dumped my suitcase in the boot of her car and we were leaving. I had said goodbye to my dad and just ignored the rest of my family as I left. The others didn’t deserve a goodbye. I sighed as I got comfortable in the passenger seat once again.

“You alright?” Mads asked as we drove off.

“Yeah, I think I just need some tunes.” I smiled, trying to push my family out of my thoughts.

“I’ve got just what you need.” Mads smirked as she selected a song on her ipod. The car was thumping with music and I could feel my sadness slowly melting away. I didn’t need to be thinking of such unhappy thoughts. Now it was just Mads, me, the music and the road. “Where to?”

“Dick has a property on the outskirts of Sydney…so I guess we start there.” I bopped my head to the music. The cheerful tunes helped me to relax. “Now, this is a road trip.” I laughed taking a snap shot of Mads on my camera. She pulled on a pair of sunnies and pulled a face. The two of us laughed and sung and chattered all the way to the main motorway heading to the Gold Coast.

“Goodbye Brisbane!” Mads cheered.

“Hello Gold Coast!” I exclaimed in response.