Epilogue

Good evening my lovely readers. Well this is it. The final chapter of Wedding Day Revenge. I just wanted to thank you all for sticking with me until now. I know that sometimes I am very tardy about uploading. Sorry about that! I hope you liked this story. I really enjoyed writing it. Please let me know what you think. 

For now, this is good bye xx

I sat in the church pews and tried to contain my tears. The bride looked so incredibly beautiful. The groom gazed down on his future wife and I felt my chest tense.

“I now pronounce you, husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.” Father Malcolm announced. I caught his eye for a moment and he winked at me. Thank you I mouthed back to him silently as I returned my focus to the happy couple as they moved down the aisle, hand in hand. “Let us show our happiness for Mr and Mrs Derek and Simone Harrington!” We all stood and applauded as the newlyweds almost skipped down the length of the aisle. I couldn’t contain my happiness. I snapped away with my disposable camera while attempting to be as subtle as possible. It wasn’t the type of camera I was used to but to be honest, I didn’t think I would have been attending a wedding so soon. I had caught a beautiful shot of the bride with her father as they had been entering the church. I couldn’t wait to grab some more shots at the reception. I felt a warm hand snake its way around my middle and pull me close. I snuggled in under Alex’s chin and let out a shaky laugh.

“I’m always a sucker for weddings.”

“I’m beginning to think we have that in common.” Alex mumbled above me. I swivelled in my position and saw a glimmer of a tear covering his eye. He whipped it away in a flurry and smiled down on me. “Shall we go and enjoy the bar tab?”

“Sounds perfect to me.” He stepped out in front of me and held out his arm. I slipped the camera into my bag and linked my arm around his. “What a perfect gentleman you are.” I teased.

“I’m all for the traditional.” A flicker of something mischievous passed over his face. “I really don’t know if I’m going to be able to survive the entire reception sitting next to you. There is nothing I would rather than sweeping you off your feet and back to our room.” I blushed deeply and hid my eyes away from the other invitees.

“And to think this is the first time I have walked down the aisle with a man.” I changed the topic. Something in Alex stiffened and I almost laughed.

“Relax; I was just making an observation. I’m not expecting a ring on my pillow tonight!”

“You like to mess with me, don’t you?” He began to relax again and we walked on as normal.

“I have a lot to make up for. I believe you may remember your teasing of my...swimming attire.” I lowered my voice. We were outside the church now and I didn’t want some innocent little flower girl overhearing our conversation.

“I wasn’t teasing; I was thoroughly pleased by your swimming attire.” He kissed me gently on the lips.

We sat on a table to the centre of the reception. The only important diners on our table were the bride’s young stepsister and her partner.

“I’m Kay; it’s nice to meet you, Romy.” I extended my hand to her while Alex interrogated her date. Alex had filled me in on the family and names I had to remember while I had been on the hunt for a suitable dress. Simone and Alex had been friends since kindergarten and even though their lives had drifted, they had never lost their friendship. From the stories I had briefly heard, it sounded like Simone and Alex had been partners in crime while growing up. I paused to imagine what Alex would have been like as a child. I had a hunch he wasn’t much different to his fifteen year old self now. He wasn’t that old, after all. I drifted away from my daydream and focused my attention back on Romy. I noticed the way the poor girl was blushing like she was embarrassed by something. I was about to subtly kick Alex to quit the game of twenty questions when there was the sound of the microphone and the speeches began. The father of the bride spoke with such warmth and sincerity I felt a shiver roll up my spine. I had to admit, I was rather jealous of Simone. She had the day she had always dreamed of and was surrounded by her friends and family. I tried to think of what my father was going to say at my wedding. Would I have turned into a puddle of tears during his speech, just like Simone was now? I shoved my dark clouds away. This was Simone and Derek’s day. I wasn’t about to be labelled the worst guest at the reception.

The bridal waltz began to play and everyone who had been on the dance floor separated to create a large circle. The newlyweds glided across the floor, they had obviously taken some dance lessons before tonight. I had begged Richard to take me to dance lessons but in the end I had gone with Mads. She had been my perfect groom. I still had to wonder if Richard had been waiting for me next to the minister, what would our first waltz be like? As if reading my mind at the shards of envy prickling my skin, Alex drew me into his embrace. I leaned back in my chair into him and let out a sigh. I didn’t even need to tell him what was on my mind. He seemed to just know.

“One day.” He whispered. The two words filled me with hope of the future and I focused myself to keep watching the dancing. Alex was right. I had nothing to feel bitter about. I had an amazing guy holding me tight and that was enough for me. I didn’t need to be dressed in white to feel like the belle of the ball. I had everything that I could ever dream of in Alex. He nuzzled into the base of my neck and placed a feather light kiss on my pulse. My heart beat pounded almost painfully in my chest. It had been a simple gesture but it wasn’t enough. I wanted to be gazing into his eyes again and to feel the heat of his skin against mine. I wanted him and I was beginning to realise that I could have him. It wasn’t lust anymore. I had been stupid to think it ever was.

“You look deep in thought.” Alex whispered as he guided me to the dance floor with the other couples.

“I-” I stopped myself there. Words weren’t enough. The man before me had saved me from Richard and more importantly from myself. I didn’t know how I was ever going to thank him. But I was willing to give my whole life showing him exactly how I felt. A feeling of courage bubbled inside me and I acted on it, reaching up to lock lips with his. I was greeted with a welcoming sigh as his strong arms curled around me possessively. I broke away first, catching my breath. “Sorry.” I mumbled. It wasn’t exactly like we were in private and here I was almost devouring the man. He brushed a strand of hair away from my face and outwardly groaned as he ran a hand through his hair.

“I think I’ve done my duty for tonight, don’t you?” He asked. My raised an eyebrow and scanned the area. It was only the first waltz and we were going to leave?

“Alex...” I protested. The rest of my sentence died on my lips and my gaze collided with his.

“Kay, weddings are meant to make people realise they want to spend the rest of their life with someone and right now I want to spend mine learning everything about you.”

As we slipped into the taxi on our way back to the room, I snuggled in close. The evening was bright with starlight and I tried to take a snapshot with my mind.

“What a perfect ending.” I sighed. I played with Alex’s fingers still looking out into the night.

“You’re wrong.” His words made me turn to focus on him. His face was shielded by the darkness but I didn’t need a light to know he was smiling, I could almost feel it. “It’s only the beginning.” He kissed me then. For the thousandth time that night I thanked my lucky stars. I had found it, the fairy tale I had dreamed of for all my years. “I love you.” He whispered. We hadn’t had the usual beginning to our relationship but I knew our relationship was nothing but special. We had a lot of time though and I was going to enjoy every minute of every day with Alex.

“I love you too.”

The end.