{Thirty-One}

"There must be something in the water
'Cause every day it's getting colder
And if only I could hold you
You'd keep my head from going under."
-Bruises, Lewis Capaldi
I really want to thank perhapsisjustarumour for turning me onto this singer... incredible!
Thank you!
__________

Sitting in the dressing room, Harlan couldn't keep his eyes off Liana. She kept her focus averted, sitting on the arm of the couch as she kicked her legs in and out. The most beautiful girl in the world was sitting only ten feet away from him and he couldn't say a word.

There was a part of him that wished she was indeed the manipulative bitch he had assumed. But looking at her in this moment, Harlan knew he had jumped to conclusions.

He had been so used to people taking advantage of him; so used to everyone wanting something from him, that the possibility of someone like Liana loving him for him was unlikely. It scared him—and in turn caused him to shut her out.

He fucked up—he fucked up and was too embarrassed to admit it. He had made the mistake of actually believing Liana could've done something to that degree.

That had been his first mistake.

It was the others he couldn't face down. He wasn't ready to admit the things he had done—the women he had slept with. He had cheated in a sense—emotionally tied to Liana while giving his body to others.

Harlan was trying to protect himself; he was only trying to rid the touch she had left behind on his skin. He tried to erase the memory of their nights together, the way she seemed to gaze into his soul when they were connected as one.

Cal stepped into view, waving Liana outside the room. She hopped down from the sofa, making her way outside. Harlan knew what her manager called her out for—he had flown into Houston with Robbie's replacement.

Great. Another guy with eyes for his girl.

He saw Liana standing with her hand on her hip, talking. Although he couldn't see her face, he could imagine her expression—the way her brows lowered over her lids as she listened too carefully. He imagined her lips puckered, the way her mouth nearly frowned as she focused. God, had he fucked up. He'd give anything for her to look at him like that again.

Liana stepped into view, her eyes were wide and so was her mouth. She looked excited.

Great.

A long legged bleach blonde entered the room, sporting a bob haircut. Harlan's brows furrowed in confusion. She had a sleeve tattoo, all black and white. She was thin with curves in all the right places. She had bright green eyes and piercings in each cheek where he was sure dimples were hiding.

"So guys, this is Laura... she's Robbie's replacement." Liana smiled.

Laura waved awkwardly; the cut off sleeves to her oversized Guns N' Roses T-shirt exposing her sports bra.

Kyle's mouth fell open as Mark blew kisses at her, causing Laura to chuckle. "Hi." She spoke sweetly. She was taller than Liana by several inches; perhaps 5"8 or so. She had the toughness of a street smart girl with the innocent face of a porcelain doll.

"I'm in love." Mark spoke in a whispering strain. Kyle pushed him with his shoulder, narrowing his eyes at him.

Everyone seemed to be fascinated by their new drummer—everyone except Harlan. He couldn't keep his eyes off the short and slender beauty that stood next to tall young woman.

Any other time, he would've gawked—Harlan would've been all over Laura. Not a chance in hell would Mark or Kyle stand a chance against him if he tried. But Harlan wouldn't try—he only had eyes for Liana.