{Twenty-Five}

"Tell me beautiful lies
I wish that I had the strength to let go, but I don't
I'm paralyzed
I see the child in your eyes and I'm stuck in the headlights."
-Beautiful Lies, Birdy
__________

There was a knock at the door, prompting Harlan to put down his guitar. He got to his feet, already thinking of the snide comments he was going to make to Liana for forgetting her keycard to the room.

His smug smile fell when seeing that it was Robbie standing on the other side. "Lee's not here, she went with Mark and Kyle." Harlan tried speaking respectfully, but his annoyance was obvious.

"I know. I was actually hoping you and I could talk."

"Bout what?" Harlan stepped aside, gesturing for Robbie to come in. He closed the door behind him, moving back to the bed.

Harlan picked up his guitar, ignoring Robbie as he carried on plucking the strings as if he weren't there.

"Well... what's up?" Harlan spoke, keeping his eyes on the frets. There was no need to, he knew where his fingers belonged and which chords to play. He just couldn't look him in the eyes—he couldn't look at Robbie without seeing Gus.

"You and Liana... you guys are... you're really in love, huh?" Robbie scratched his jaw. Harlan could hear the sound of his course beard under his fingernail.

"Yep, we sure are." Harlan spoke with spite—his voice obnoxiously venomous. Never once did his eyes waver in Robbie's direction.

"So what are you gonna do after the tour ends? Are you gonna take the deal?"

Harlan squeezed the neck of the guitar, causing the vibrating strings to come to an abrupt stop—the soft music ceasing in his hands. His brows furrowed, finally shifting his gaze to Robbie. 

"What deal?"

Robbie's face fell—his eyes widened and his loose posture stiffened. "She still hasn't told you?"

"Told me what?" Harlan moved the guitar out of his lap, propping the neck against the edge of the bed.

"Oh, fuck." Robbie muttered. "Forget it. Forget I said anything."

"No," Harlan stood from the bed, causing the guitar to slip, falling into the floor. He ignored it. "You know somethin' I don't?"

Robbie sighed. "Look, I don't wanna cause problems-"

"You fuckin' kidding me, that's all you've done. I see the way you look at her. I saw it when you and Ava were goin' together. You may be able to bullshit Lee into believing it was me you didn't want Ava to meet, but you and I both know you didn't wanna bring Ava around Lee 'cause you were scared she would see the way you look at her. You were right to do that, chicks pick up on that shit." Harlan folded his arms, rocking back on his heels with a self-satisfied grin.

He had finally done it; Harlan had finally said what he wanted to say. There were more things he wanted to address—he was sure Robbie would give him the opportunity. But for right now, he was just going to gloat.

"You're right." Robbie shrugged. "You're right, I like Lee-"

"Don't you fucking call her that. Only I call her that." Harlan snapped.