{Twenty}

"I'm tired of being so judgmental of everyone
I will not go to sleep, I will train my eyes to see
That my mind is as blind as a branch on a tree."
-On The Other Side, The Strokes
__________

Sitting backstage, Harlan scrolled through his phone, checking out the latest memes. Liana stood behind him with her arms draped over his shoulders—every so often she would kiss his cheek.

Words couldn't express how happy she was. They had planned to have sex after the show. They hadn't even consummated their relationship yet, but it felt as though in some way they already had.

Harlan stroked her wrist dangling over his shoulder, raising his phone slightly for her to see the memes he found funny. Nothing could bring her down from the high she felt being this close to Harlan.

"Hey, can I talk to you for a second?" Robbie asked, slouching next to her ear. His voice got Harlan's attention as well.

Almost nothing.

"Yeah, sure." Liana stood up straight, her hands still on Harlan's shoulders.

Robbie cleared his throat. "Alone?"

"Yeah." She forced a smile. She hated to admit it, but she was a little annoyed she had to leave Harlan, even for a moment.

She followed Robbie outside the dressing room. Her brows went together when seeing Robbie close the door—making sure no one could hear the conversation getting ready to take place.

"So, you're with Harlan now?" Robbie asked. She didn't like the tone he was using, but didn't address it. Instead, she simply nodded. "He's just using you, you know that, right? Once something else comes along-"

"It's not like that." Liana interrupted. "Harlan and I haven't even-" she stopped. For the first time, she was beginning to understand Harlan's point of view—Robbie didn't deserve an explanation.

"You said it yourself, Harlan's just trying to sleep with you."

"That was before I knew him. He stopped drinking, he hasn't even tried anything."

"So you and me... was I just imagining that?" Robbie asked.

Liana's eyes widened—her mouth fell agape as she stood in front of Robbie in disbelief.

"You and me?... I- I don't understand."

"I thought you liked me. You and I click-"

"You have a girlfriend!" Liana's hands were shaking; she couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"We broke up over a month ago. I... I thought you liked me."

"I do, I do Robbie; I like you. But... not like that." Liana answered sheepishly.

"You and I are good for each other. We're both logical and rational about things... Harlan's just gonna-"

"I'm in love with Harlan." Liana blurted out. She had to admit, it felt good to finally say it out loud. "I'm... I'm in love with Harlan."

Robbie shook his head disapprovingly. "He's gonna hurt you. He's gonna cheat on you or start drinking again. And when he does... it's gonna be bad... for all of us. Because I know Harlan well enough to know that as soon as you sleep with him, everything's gonna change."

"You're wrong. You don't know anything about Harlan." Liana snapped.

Robbie stiffened. He swallowed hard, scratching his beard as if in thought. "Just be careful, alright? I care about you... you've got the world going for you right now and I don't wanna see you fuck it up for someone that's not going anywhere in life. I want you to know you're too good for him."

"That's your opinion." Liana mumbled, folding her arms, looking down at her feet.

"I wish you guys the best of luck." Robbie placed a friendly hand on her shoulder. But she could see by the look in his eyes that it was forced—that he wished everything but.

A moment after Robbie went back into the dressing room, Liana followed. Harlan's eyes met hers and he knew something was wrong. His eyes shifted to Robbie, watching him get a water from the fridge. Liana gave him a weak smile, peeling her eyes away before placing them back on Robbie.

Harlan knew Robbie had said something to her—he wasn't sure what, but it was something that made her feel uncomfortable. He stood, sliding his phone in his pocket as he made his way over to Liana.

"You alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Liana smiled as Harlan slinked his arm around her waist.

He leaned into her ear. "What'd Robbie say to you?"

"I'll tell you later." Liana smiled weakly. Her eyes went to Robbie, seeing that he was watching them. Guilt stricken, she moved out of Harlan's grasp.

Harlan knew Liana would never intentionally hurt him, but looking at Robbie in this moment, all Harlan could see was Gus.

Harlan knew—he knew that look in Robbie's eyes, Robbie wanted Liana. He had seen it the moment he met him—that lustful gaze he'd catch coming from him whenever she stood in his presence.

Harlan ignored it—Liana wasn't his at the time. But now, Liana was his girl. Ignoring the way Robbie looked at her could no longer go unnoticed.