Thirty Five: Identities are Secrets

Claire was still standing in the dark void, facing Emily.

"Me?" Claire asked. "What the hell's so special about me?"

Emily tilted her head in confusion in the same way as Cas always had. "You are Claire Novak, correct?"

Claire nodded. "Yes I am."

Emily smiled. "Ever heard of Micheal?"

Now Claire was the confused one. "The archangel?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

Emily hesitated for a moment. "Dean and Sam told you how he fell into the pit with lucifer, didn't they?"

Claire nodded again.

"We'll, that's not the truth." Emily said.

Claire almost slapped the girl. "You are not accusing them of lying." She said angrily.

"No I'm not." Emily agreed. "They thought he fell in, but he didn't."

"Then what happened?"

Emily smiled. "When Michael began to fall in, he knew that he needed to escape. But he also knew that he would not be welcomed by his brothers and sisters. So he abandoned his vessel and went back fourteen years, then fell. He made sure to be born of a specific line, the line that would always intersect with the winchesters, the Novaks. He told his followers that, in the time of great need and danger, we must find him, we must find Claire Novak. I am the last, and I found you."

Claire laughed. "I was dead until today. And anyways, you can't possibly expect me to believe that."

Emily glared at her. "I brought you back. I'm a vivicantern, a giver of life, I bring people back from the edge of death. I got hyped up on a lot of demon blood, and brought you four back. I had to bring those four back, but you were the most important."

Claire almost laughed again. "I'm the most important?" She repeated. "I'm the least! Chloe's the oldest nephilim alive, Jesse's the antichrist, and Ben's a Winchester. But I'm just a little girl who happens to be a good vessel and a good hunter, and you think I'm the important one?"

Emily waved her hand dismissively. "Those three are all disposable. There's more nephilim, another antichrist, and Dean Winchester has another child, Emma. But there's only one Michael."

"I am not Micheal!" Claire growled. "My name is Claire Novak, I'm nineteen years old, I grew up in Pontiac Illinois, my parents are Jimmy Novak and Amelia Novak, I have a third cousin named Clara, and my life is shit. But I am human, not an angel. I don't care what your ugly ass face thinks."

Emily smiled and reached into her pocket. She pulled out a silver necklace chain with an amber pendant in the shape of a ring, about the size of a quarter attached to it. And the amber was glowing blue. It was a grace holder, Claire realized, just like those vials she'd seen them stored in.

Emily held it out to her. "You're drawn to it, aren't you."

Claire almost snatched it from the girl's hand, but she stopped herself. "Why would it matter if I was?" She asked quietly and angrily.

"So you are." Emily smiled yet again. "You're drawn to it because it's yours. Go ahead, take it."

Claire rolled her eyes. "Even if what you're saying is true, I know a lot about angels, and one thing I know is that if I am Michael -which I'm not- as soon as I touch that I'll be an angel again."

Emily shook her head. "Only if you smash it." Emily pressed the necklace into Claire's hand. "There will come a time when it will be necessary, but don't do it until then."

As soon as Emily drew her hand away, the black void was engulfed in white, and the real world snapped into focus.