Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

Cairn bumped Sun'ka with an outstretched paw, an amused expression across his face. "Yes, both of my kits seem to always get into trouble," he grunted.

Frostfeather took a couple steps closer, dipping her head to Cairn and Sun'ka. "My name is Frostfeather. The black tom is my brother, Pineheart."

"Have there always been so few of you?" Sun'ka asked boldly.

"No, we used to have many Clanmates," Frostfeather explained, "but we had to leave them to find a new home."

"Why would you leave them? I'm sure they could have came with you?" Blue squeaked, his eyes as big as moons as he listened to Frostfeather continue.

"They all got.. infected. It was a terrible sickness, one that could not be cured," she mewed quietly.

"That's certainly troubling," Cairn mumbled, "I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision to leave them behind. But all that matters is that you're here now!"

Frostfeather perked her ears, "Yeah, you're right," she purred.

"You are all welcome to relax and build up your energy," Cairn meowed loudly to the Clan cats. Elkleap was still staring, dumbfounded, at Sun'ka. Lionpaw was eagerly hopping towards Drizzle, who was laying near a tumbledown heap of cardboard boxes.

One of the Dockside cats approached Sootsplash and Meadowshine, his expression light and carefree. "My name's Sparrow! If you'd like a nest, I can show you to some open spaces in our den."

Stone was padding back up to Frostfeather, her tail waving in the air. "You and Pineheart can come rest with me if you'd like. There's two spare nests in my den."

"Sure!" she purred, jumping up to follow the silver and orange tabby. Pineheart was right behind, his black pelt rippling uncomfortably. But this seemed to be utter paradise, there really wasn't any reason for Pineheart to doubt their safety.

As soon as they curled in the soft moss of Stone's den, they fell into a cozy slumber.

~~~

Later that night, Frostfeather was fidgeting like a leaf caught in the breeze. She couldn't sleep any longer. She could feel the tug in her paws, urging her to wander from this strange place.

She stood quietly, not wanting to wake Pineheart or Stone. Thankfully, they did not stir as she slid from the safety of the den and out into the center of the Dockside camp. Without a moment to spare, she bounded across the open space and into the pitch black passageway from which they had entered.

The salty tang of the air on her tongue was odd, but refreshing. Reaching the end of the alley, she took a moment to catch her breath. She was still surrounded by tall stone walls.

Turning to her right, she padded down the path beside the stone wall. After several heartbeats, a gust of wind buffeted her whiskers. Narrowing her eyes, she pushed out into the open.

Gasping, she stared at the scene ahead of her. A wooden path extended out for several fox lengths but then ended abruptly at an endless mass of water. It stretched into the distance, as far as she could see. Above her head, the stars shined with the intensity of the sun.

She raised her muzzle, casting her gaze to the moon that hung so carelessly in the black sky.a soft mew sounded behind her. "What are you doing out here?"

Frostfeather looked over her shoulder, relieved to find it was just Blue. "I just needed some air," she meowed softly.

"You should get plenty here. The wind blows the strongest over the sea," he purred.

The sea, so this is the sea. She looked back down to the heaving water, astounded to find that shimmering silver paw prints were appearing across the surface. They were receding, heading straight across the waves towards the distant horizon.

"Wow," Blue gasped as he stepped forward to stand beside Frostfeather. "I've never seen that before," he marveled.

"Can you see the paw prints?" she asked seriously.

"Yeah, and I can hear really faint voices. They are saying that they are almost there... almost home," he whispered.

Frostfeather's heart slammed in her chest. She turned to stare at the water once more, watching as the paw prints started to fade from view.

"We should probably return to our nests now," Frostfeather meowed after several heartbeats.

"You feel better now?" Blue asked simply.

"Yes, much better," she purred. Blue flicked his tail as he turned and started to pad back down the path beside the wall. She hesitated before following, taking one last look at the sea.

We're almost there, she thought excitedly.