Bolgrӓt

The following morning, the low conversation filled the air as everyone began to rise and pack up.

When Bjorn and Rowan emerged from their tent, they noticed that they no longer received curious and demeaning stares as the once did when they first traveled to the High Palace which pleased the two of them.

As Rowan packed up the tent and rolled up their beds, her mind began to wonder of those who began to eat their breakfast and load their horses. Do they accept our behavior because they no longer care or expect us to do so anyways? Tying up the leather strips to secure the tent, she looked up and examined the strangers who had become her friends. Everyone was relaxed and joking with one another as Torvi and Meliana handed out food to the Roriks and Caspian's men. When Meliana's grey eyes landed on Rowan's, she smiled and offered a small wave. Rowan returned it, then motioned to Hvitserk with her chin who was resting on the forest floor by the fire.

Meliana smirked and picked up a plate of eggs and porridge and made her way to him. Rowan could not her the words she was saying, but she could see Hvitserk peek at her with one eye and close them again. Meliana's mouth dropped open and she nudged him with her foot. Hvitserk then mumbled something and smiled. The Gladeswoman huffed and tossed his food into the woods and placed her hands on her hips. "Starve then!" she exclaimed, then stomped away. Hvitserk laughed and shook his head, then continued to get some needed sleep.

Rowan found herself smiling at her friend's exchange with the Rorik and continued to watch her as she passed out food. She would throw him glances every now and then and would mutter something to herself in frustration.

Bjorn suited up in his armor once more and prepared to plates of food, then carried them over to his Gladeswoman who was busy packing her horse. Her silver hair was thrown up in an unkempt bun and she was half suited in her armor with many of the straps and buckles hanging loosely to her sides. It reminded him of the time he tended to her after the bear attack and their long days and nights they spent together in the maroon tent. Is it possible that she has grown more stunning since? Bjorn smiled and shook his head as he approached her. Regardless, she is still the same beautiful mess as before.

"Breakfast?" he asked, holding a plate piled with food out to her. He watched her eye it and twist her mouth in disgust before shaking her head.

"I'm not hungry," she replied, strapping on her worn saddle.

"You need to eat love, even if you aren't hungry," he said, plate still raised. She knew he was right and let out a small sighed. Even if she wasn't hungry now, she would be in a few hours and fighting on an empty stomach would only be an annoying distraction. She needed the food to fuel her body, for in a few hours she would need every ounce of energy.

Rowan stopped with what she was doing and walked over to Bjorn, reluctantly taking the plate and began to pick at her food, sitting down on the pine covered ground.

"Are you nervous?" he asked after a moment, studying her face as he sat across from her. Her brows were furrowed and she was deep in thought, mentally looking as if she were many miles away. She blinked and slowly met his eyes before swallowing her food.

"As much as I hate to admit it, I am. Usually, before a battle, I am excited and anticipating it with joy as if it is nothing but a dangerous game, but this...? This is something I have never felt before. The Gladeswomen and I are very skilled warriors and I have never fretted over winning or losing as the outcome was almost certain, but as I look around the camp and at the faces of my friends, I can't help but worry as to who I will never see again. And if we do achieve victory today, I will still lose as they will take my friend's lives."