Sweet Nothings

Rowan blinked, trying to make sense of what she was doing here. Am I dreaming? The woman smiled softly, her long blonde hair was intricately styled around her crown. Rowan swallowed hard, "M-mom?"

Before her queen could even open her mouth, Rowan sprung forward and wrapped her arms around her mother's shoulders, squeezing tightly. "I have missed you," she said with a muffled voice as her head was burring in the crook of her neck. She felt her mother chuckle and return her embrace, "I have missed you too my daughter."

Rowan pulled back, still in shock of her mother's presence. "What are you doing here?" she asked with wide eyes as her hands were grasping her queen's shoulders.

Queen Lana gave her another soft smile, "Let us talk in the privacy of your quarters." Rowan bowed her head and stepped aside to make way for her mother to pass, then quietly closed the door behind them. When she turned around, queen Lana was sitting at the edge of her bed with her hands rested upon her knees.

Rowan joined her, sitting sideways with one leg folded under her bottom. "You must be very tried," she stated, thinking about the long journey from the Glade to the High Palace.

"Aye, I am. But I wanted to see you first before I did anything else," queen Lana said softly. Rowan nodded and returned it before asking, "What are you doing here?"

Queen Lana sighed, "We left as soon as we got the raven's message that you were headed here. I only learned that another raven was sent this morning to notify the other leaders that a grand meeting would be held here to discuss the matters of this Blanche woman, so I guess I will have some free time here for a few more days."

Rowan nodded once more in understanding. She had forgotten that King Tomwulf had announced that the kings and queens would have a meeting here.

"How are you fairing?" her mother asked, looking over her daughter's body in the dim light. She could make out a few cuts and bruises along her arms and face, and she was pleased that they looked to be healing. She had heard of the torment her daughter and her mate had endured and had hardly slept in the past week. The news of what happened at the Skabelse and what the young royals endured in their captivity had spread all throughout the land, causing many kingdoms to grow angry. Unfortunately, she had also heard the whispers about other kingdoms joining the Brotherhood's cause as well. Whatever outcome this led too, she knew in her heart it would end in an all-out war.

Rowan sighed and shrugged. Physically she was doing okay, but emotionally she was not. Her heart still ached from Bjorn's words and she was not yet ready to forgive him. "I am well," she answered in the best convincing tone she could muster. Her mother easily seen through her white lie but decided not to push the matter. Her daughter had gone through quite an ordeal in the last few weeks and what she needed now was time and support.

She looked her daughter over once more, noticing that somehow she was different. Her skin was slightly tanner and she had lost a considerable amount of weight. Her eyes used to be lively and youthful, but now they looked as if they had witnessed more than a normal eighteen year old should have to see and endure. Her heart ached for her daughter as she did not deserve the atrocities that had befallen her, but she knew deep down that it would only make her stronger with time.

"Have you heard anything from the tributes? Of Darsa?" Rowan asked eagerly, pulling her mother from her thoughts.

Queen Lana nodded her head, her closed lips forming a smile on her face, "Yes I have. All are with child."

Her mother's words filled her with both joy and jealously. She was pleased to hear that her friends and cousin were expecting a child with men they were fond of, perhaps even loved. But she was jealous that her womb was not filled with a tiny beating heart that would one day might possibly share its father's midnight tousles or her own silver hair. She resisted the urge to bring her hand to her stomach as she imagined what it would feel like to have Bjorn's child inside her as it kicked and wiggled around.