The Behemoth

Warning: Graphic Content

Bjorn tossed and turned throughout the night and even the calming lull of the creek couldn't grace him with a good night's sleep. As he collected his bed roll, he cursed sleeping on the hard ground and vowed he would never do it again as long as he had a bed to rest in. As he walked to the corner of the tent to stash his bedding, Rowan sat up and yawned. She was well rested and glad of it too for she hadn't slept in a proper bed in a long time.

"Good morning," Bjorn said looking her over. Her hair looked as if it was trying to escape her head and he half smiled at the beautiful mess before him.

Rowan blinked at him, shocked at his pleasant demeanor and strange smile, "Erm, good morning..." she replied though it sounded more like a question. She couldn't help but notice he was still shirtless from last night and she quickly averted her eyes. Seeing his well-defined chest stirred something inside of her hat was foreign and she didn't want to make him angry again for observing him like last night.

"They called for breakfast a few minutes ago. Would you like to join me?" he asked courteously.

Rowan waved him off, "It's okay. I need to get dressed and ready for the day and I don't want you waiting on me."

Bjorn shrugged causing his muscles to flex and slipped on a loose fitting shirt followed by his boots and exited the tent, leaving Rowan very confused. He had been so nice to her this morning and she hadn't the slightest idea why. "Men," she said to herself and shook her head as she stood up from the bed and stretched. Her muscles disagreed and ached but she welcomed it and walked over to her chest and grabbed some clothing.

She decided on a long sleeve maroon tunic and a pair of slate gray tights since it would probably be chilly again. As she braided her hair in the mirror and let the braid fall over shoulder she noticed her nose was slightly swollen and even more bruised than the night before. She wished she could spar again today but knew it was forbidden. Sighing, she slipped her ankle high boots on and headed towards the tables for breakfast.

Even from such a far distance, she could see Darsa, Horan, Pruella and her mate seated together talking and laughing. What she didn't expect to see though, was Bjorn and an empty seat beside him at the same table. "What has gotten into him?" she asked herself as she was served some eggs and smoked sausage from her friend Arabella.

She raised an eye brow to herself and shook her head, making her way towards the crowded table. She balanced her plate and cup of water in one hand and pulled out the wooden chair in the other and plopped down.

"Good morning cousin," Darsa greeted smiling.

"Morning!" said Pruella and Horan at the same time.

Rowan giggled like a child, "Morning everyone. I hope you all slept well?" she asked, then looked directly at Bjorn knowing he hadn't.

He smirked and took a bit of his sausage.

"Yes we slept just fine," said Pruella looking to her older mate. He winked at her and Rowan blushed as she realized that they too hard already become familiar with one another.

"I could have slept better if I didn't have this brute's toe nails scratching my legs all night," Darsa seethed, shooting daggers at Horan. The table laughed, not able to contain themselves.

"If you are willing to clip them for me then be my guest gorgeous," Horan replied, still laughing. Darsa rolled her eyes and shoved her mouth full of eggs. If that is what I have to do to protect my legs from being sliced to ribbons then so be it.

As they finished their breakfast, more small talk and jokes ensued. Most were at Horan's expense but a few were at Bjorn's. Rowan expected for the tan Rorik to snap at his friend but when he laughed and chimed in she sat dumb founded.