Let Me Tell You

As Queen Lana chastised her daughter, Rowan looked to her right, not believing that she deserved to be embarrassed in front of her fellow Sisters. She knew that it was unwise to speak to Earl Rollo in such a manner, but she could not help herself.

The Daughters of the Glade stood back to give their princess and queen privacy, but even so, they could still hear every word Queen Lana spoke.

"Rowan, first I will like to start by saying that I am proud of you for sticking up for our High Kings and Queens, it was a very honorable thing to do and I am sure they will be grateful once they hear about it. I know you have always been a girl with a will of her own, everyone in the Glade knows this. It is one of your strongest traits and at times I envy you for this.

But today it became your curse. I do not know if you realize what you just jeopardized or not. If you were to speak to them like that under any other circumstances I believe things would have gone very differently. You did not only endanger yourself, but your fellow Sisters as well," she began. Her usual soft tone had been replaced with one Rowan had heard many times. When war between other kingdoms ensued, Queen Lana's soft and tender spirit would be replaced by a that of a wrathful warrior who was not afraid to critique her soldiers if they behaved poorly on the battlefield.

Rowan looked down at the scuff on her boots, too ashamed and embarrassed to meet her mother's eyes as she continued to chastise her. She had not realized how her actions could have possibly killed her Sisters. Had harm befell them should would have never been able to forgive herself.

"Do I need to remind you who the Bluegardes are?" Queen Lana asked to which Rowan muttered, "No mother. I remember my school lessons quite well."

"Honestly girl, you would think one would have more intelligence in such a situation. I am really disappointed in you."

Having a parent say they were disappointed in you had to be one of the worst feelings and Rowan bit the inside of her lip at her mother's hurtful words.

Queen Lana placed a soft hand under Rowan's chin and lifted it up slightly, "You never could control that tongue of yours could you?" she asked with an almost teasing gaze. "Am I going to have to send you back to etiquette class again with the five and six year olds?"

Rowan blushed as she felt slightly humiliated in front of her Sisters. She looked away as her mother started in on her again but something in the distance had caused her to tune her mother's words out.

In the stretch across the vast courtyard a large group of women neared them, causing Rowan to become pleased that they no longer would be the only group of women at the kingdom, especially now that the Bluegardes were here.

Queen Lana stopped midsentence when she noticed her daughter was no longer paying her any attention and followed her gaze.

The Daughters of the Glade chattered amongst themselves in hushed tones as they too noticed the women from Starke.

"We will finish this later," Queen Lana whispered to Rowan before standing up straighter and smiling at the newcomers. She recognized them to be the Daughters of Starke by their banners though their leader had an unfamiliar face and could not help but to notice how nervous she looked.

"Good afternoon my fellow Sisters," Queen Lana greeted with a small bow, "I am Queen Lana of the Glade."

Torvi immediately bowed and returned her smile. "It is an honor to meet you and my fellow Sisters of the Glade. We have heard many tales of you. I am Torvi, queen of Starke."

Queen Lana tried her best to conceal her confusion. She remembered meeting the Queen of Starke about a decade ago and the woman before her did not match her memories, for this woman was tall with dark hair and tattoos on her neck making her look wild.