Chapter 6: Stop Pretending

*the next day (in social studies)*

I walk into social studies and realize I have to sit with him. I sit down awkwardly. I don't make any eye contact. When I sit down I hit my wrist and I wince. Braden stands up and comes over to me, even though he was 3 feet away from me before.

"Claire. What happened?"

"Braden, I'm fine." I say as I look up into his eyes. I'm so close I can see the hint of green in them. I've never noticed it before. It's beautiful.

"Okay. I have been worried about you."

"Why?" I say. Kind of confused. Why would he care about me.

"Well first, my idiot friends tripped you and sprained your wrist and gave you a concussion, and second, they made fun of you and you'll barely look at me."

"I'm...fine. Thank you for pretending to care."

"I'm not pretending. I really do care." This is driving me crazy. I don't understand why he would care about me.

Braden then takes my right hand and squeezes it gently.

"Stop pretending, please?"

I know what you're thinking. Every girl would love to have their "crush" holding their hand and being close enough to breathe the same air. But I'm not. He can't care. He might a little. But not enough to hold my hand.

"Claire. I'm not pretending. I really do care. I care about you. I care how you're doing." He squeezes my hand harder.

I decide to listen to him. Actually listen. Listen to what he says. I look into his eyes. I see the seriousness in his eyes. He means it.

He's not pretending.

He does care.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey!

I know, I know. The chapters need to be longer. I just update when I can. I know what I'm gonna do. Update. Not post it and make chapters longer. Unless it works to be short.

Lemme know!

Be happy!

~Puppylover680💕