chapter 13

HARRY

After waiting for what felt like forever, the three months along with the hours Emma had spent getting ready, we had finally arrived at the venue and snuck in the back door. I didn’t tell Emma this, but I wanted to avoid paparazzi and being pictured with her; I didn’t want my fans – or Charlie, thinking we were together, because we weren’t. She much-too-tightly grabbed a hold of my hand and smiled too big every time I looked at her as we made out way backstage. She tried so hard to please me, and its not that I was playing hard-to-get, it’s just that she wasn’t who I wanted. Charlie doesn’t have to try at all, I marvel at her for just being who she is. She doesn’t like me for what I am, but for who I am, and I couldn’t say the same about Emma. 

“You’re gonna do great babe!” Emma squealed at me causing my skin to crawl – what I would give to be in Niall’s place tonight.

“I’m going to go catch up with Dani and El!” she sloppily kissed my cheek hurried away from me and I felt bad for my best mates dates – they didn’t even like Emma. I watched her walk away, and even though she was easy on the eyes, comparisons are easily done once you’ve had a taste of Charlie Parker.

I went to go meet Louis and Liam, and I caught a glimpse of the audience. They had started seating people and my eyes went wide at the sea of chairs, soon to be filled. This was our first big performance other than the x-factor and the x-factor tour – it was a huge deal to us. To be opening for a legend and good friend like Ed, it was an incredible honor. I let out a deep breath, only hoping that one day our very own One Direction fans would be out there waiting to sing along to the songs we’ve been writing.

A hand slapped on my back and I spun around to be face-to-face with the other half of Louis Tomlinson. 

“Jesus Lou, you scared the living shit out of me!” I said shaken, not sure if I was startled from him or nerves were getting to me.

“Calm down Curly! You’re last out of all of us, you’ve got plenty of time to shake those nerves!” he smiled at me knowingly, “You’re not even afraid to sing, this is about Charlie isn’t it!” he said nudging me playfully.

“It’s been a while, I just can’t wait to see her. I just hope she knows it’s for her, you know? Do you think she’ll pick up on the lyrics? How does she look?”

“She’ll know, trust me. And why don’t you have a look for yourself.” Louis said pointing to the first few rows. Given the lights were still on and she was close up, there were still a bunch of people around, but Charlie stood out from all of them. She was standing laughing with Danielle – looking absolutely breathtaking. I instantly missed the sound of her laugh, wishing the crowded venue would silence so I could hear it. I felt my palms sweating, hoping later on my mic wouldn’t slip from my hands. Her hair was lighter, probably from the summer sun, and straight. Her skin glowed with a tan and her eyes sparkled against the dark sultry makeup that complimented them perfectly. I longed to get a closer look, to see if new freckles had appeared on her nose or to hear her say my name, forgetting the way it sounded – it had been too long and I craved her.

“Stop drooling Harry that’s practically my little sister!” Louis said in disgust as Liam approached us and laughed.

 “I’m sure your very jealous of me Haz but I just got a hello hug from Charlie!” Liam said cheekily and my cheeks burned with jealousy “She’s gossiping with Danielle and Eleanor, already fitting in!” my eyes widened as I realized what Emma had said before: I’m going to go catch up with Dani and El! Shit. I whipped my head back around and realized Emma was a few rows over chatting away with girls I’d never seen before – probably her friends although I hadn’t a clue why anyone could stand her. I’m not sure why I still put up with it; loneliness got the best of me.