The New Start

"There it is!" Gemma points out of the window as her mum is driving their old dark blue van down the street. A few seconds later, Anne turns the vehicle to the right and parks it in front of an obviously renovated white four story building. She looks over to her daughter who gives her a small nod. "That's it," Gemma assures her. Anne nods and turns the key around so that the engine stops droning.

"I'm glad we're finally here," Harry says from behind as he's unbuckling his seatbelt. "I'm so excited to see my dorm room and I can't wait to arrange everything."

Anne looks into the driving mirror and gives her son a small smile. "We won't stay long, darling," she responds, "but what do you think about having lunch together before we leave?" she asks Harry as they're getting out of the car.

"We could go to this nice little pub that's only a few minutes away from here," Harry's older sister proposes as she's walking toward the boot. "I often went there with my friends when we didn't want to spend too much money but still wanted to eat in a decent atmosphere." She closes the car door and walks over to the boot. "I kind of miss my flat mates and studying in general," Gemma sighs as she's lifting one of Harry's suitcases out, pulling the handle up.

"Harry, what do you think? Do you want to go there?" Anne asks her son who's also pulling one of his duffel bags out of the boot.

"Of course," he replies. "I'd love to have lunch with you! As long as they offer chips, I promise I won't be picky" he shrugs, shouldering the heavy bag.

Anne and Gemma both let out a laugh. "Of course, chips!" Gemma yells out and chuckles. "Will there ever be a day when you'll go out and not order them?"

"No, never," Harry fires back, pulling a serious face. But then he lets out a small laugh, smiles at his sister and takes the small burlap bag she's handing him. "I don't think that day will ever come and if so, I promise that I'll tell you."

Gemma smiles back at her younger brother, then ruffles through his hair. "It will be one of those days that should be marked in a calendar." She shoulders another bag and lifts the green plant out of the boot. Harry's mum hands him some more stuff, takes the rest of the luggage out of the boot and locks the car as they're starting to walk toward the dorm.

Near the entrance there's a small office with a glass front where an older man in a dark blue uniform is sitting at his desk that's full with papers. When Harry and his family enter the entrance hall, he greets them and introduces himself as Mr. Cleeve, the porter and caretaker of the building. He pulls out the final lease for Harry's mum to sign, hands out Harry the keys to his room and gives him some general information about the dorm. "Have a nice stay Harry," he says. "If you have trouble with anyone or your sink in your room is leaking, just come down and tell me. If I'm not here, you can leave a message in the letterbox over there." The man motions toward a wooden letterbox that's attached to the wall next to the office. He gives Harry a smile then turns around to answer an incoming call.

***

After Harry's mum and sister have helped Harry carrying everything into his room, the family decides to walk to the place Gemma proposed to have lunch at. It takes Anne, Gemma and Harry about twenty minutes to get there but after the drive it feels good to move a little bit. The air is crispy clean and the wind is blowing strongly. Harry loves autumn, he loves to feel the wind in his face, he loves grey, rainy days, he loves to wrap up warmly and just go for a walk in the cold but apparently, he's the only one in his family. His mum and Gemma aren't too fond of cold weather. Harry laughs at Anne and Gemma as he's watching them practically running toward the small pub, trying to get inside as fast as possible. They look like little penguins in their thick coats and huge scarfs around their necks. His sister pushes the door open which causes a little bell to ring in a very light sound, announcing the new guests.

The warm air hits Harry's face the second he steps into the room and let his cheeks heat up within seconds. The warmth lets his skin prickle which actually feels good on his freezing face. The pub isn't very crowded that day but still, it's well attended. People sitting everywhere at the dark wooden tables. This pub looks like an ancient tavern from ages ago, which doesn't seem to be that far-stretched. The room is paneled with dark wood panels, there are different kinds of posters and pictures put up on the walls, indicating that this place is mostly frequented by students but the atmosphere is open enough for other people to join in too. Harry loves the place right away. The atmosphere is calming, caused by the lights that are dimmed to a certain extend. It smells nice and the people's voices melt into a quiet mumble that's filling the room. Meanwhile, Gemma has talked to the waitress who leads Harry and his family to a small table for three nearly in the back of the pub. She hands them the menu and leaves them alone to make their choices. After they've ordered their drinks, Anne and Gemma start discussing about the main dishes while Harry has already chosen his meal which contains chips, of course.