Chapter 14

While Dylan was away, I took the time to go visit my mom, who was still unconscious in the hospital. I just kind of sat around, talked to her, told her about Dylan and everything that was going on, but I kept thinking she would open her eyes and ask me why tears were streaming down my cheeks. As I was telling her about how Matt, Austin, and Tristan were doing, my phone started to ring. I looked at my screen and quickly wiped my tears away when I saw that it was Dylan.

"Hello?" I pressed the phone to my ear, trying to sound normal.

"Katy? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I... I just woke up from a nap." I lied and then quickly changed the subject. "What's going on? How was your audition?"

"I think I did great Katy. It was amazing, the producers really seemed to like me." I could almost hear the huge goofy smile on his face.

"That's great Dylan, honestly. I'm so excited for you."

"Katy..." His voice lowered. "Tell me what's wrong." The concern in his voice sent guilt raging into my body. Don't be a distraction, lie. "It's nothing Dyl, honestly. I'm just tired. Online schooling isn't as easy as I thought it would be." Actually, I sounded pretty convincing. "Did I wake you up? I'm sorry, I just really wanted to share this news with you." I could tell his excitement was decreasing because of me and my guilt deepened, so I quickly said, "Baby, I've been waiting for your call all day. I don't mind." and then I changed the subject again. "Tell me more about how it went."

"Well,I went in and I decided to read for Stiles instead of Scott. They sent a lot of people out, but me and maybe eleven other guys all went back in for another audition." he told me.

"Why did you choose to read for Stiles instead?"

There was a long pause before he responded with, "I don't really know..." He trailed off and then spoke again. "I felt like Stiles was just a better fit for me I guess."

"Well I've gotta admit... I'm pretty disappointed because you would make one sexy werewolf."

Dylan's contagious laughter rang through my phone, forcing me to laugh as well. I realized how much I missed hearing that laugh after only a couple of my waking hours. I guess we spend more time together than I thought. "Would I really?" he asked once we had both finished laughing.

"Most definitely."

"I miss you so much Kates." he softly said after laughing again. I laughed a little too. "Dyl, it's only been a day and for half of the time we've been asleep." I told him, giggling. "I know, but I miss seeing you." he explained. "Well I miss you too." I replied, "I can't wait until you come back." I sighed softly. A thought occurred to me that hadn't occurred to me before. "Have you thought about what would happen if you actually got the part?" I asked. Silence fell over the line. "Dylan?" my voice sounded shaky. "No, I... I don't know. It's never occurred to me that I could actually get it."

I didn't respond. Instead, I told him that I had to go fix lunch for my brothers. "Alright, I'll let you know if I hear anything else." he told me. I nodded even though he couldn't see. "Alright, I'll talk to you later." and then I hung up. I sat back in my chair and sighed, putting my face in my hands. I looked at my mom's face and then reached out to grab her hand again. "That was Dylan." I told her. I started talking to her again about everything and when I finished I decided that it was time for me to leave. I kissed her forehead and then told her that I would see her soon.

When I walked into our house the smell of lasagna wafted up my nose. "Is that lasagna?" I asked, kicking off my shoes and hanging up my keys on the key rack. "Yeah, it's that kind you throw in the oven!" Tristan's voice called from the kitchen. He was sitting at the breakfast bar with a book in his hands. "Sounds good." I nodded and then peeked in the oven. "How was mom?" he asked closing the book. "The same." I answered and then took a seat next to him. My brother looked into my eyes with his identical blue ones.

"And how are you?" He voice showed genuine concern for me.

"I'm okay I guess." I answered. "I talked to Dylan."

"And?"

"He thinks it went well." I stiffly said.

My older brother grabbed my arm and made me look him in the eyes. "And you're worried that if he gets the part he'll have to move away." It was a statement, not a question. "Well, if he does have to leave, you could always go with him." he stated. I laughed loudly. "What? We've been together for a month, don't you think that's a bit fast?" I asked him, still laughing at his outburst. "Katy." My brother had began laughing himself. "It doesn't matter how long you guys have been dating, everyone knows that you and Dylan are crazy about each other. Besides, the show doesn't start officially filming for a couple months, right? So you have plenty of time to find out if that's something you'd want to do."

I stared at him in shock. Was this my brother I was talking to? "When did you get so mature?" I asked, making him laugh. "Never did. I just realized that Dylan is what makes you happy. He's someone you're serious about, and that means that I'll be serious too." he said it as if it wasn't a big deal. I threw my arms around him and hugged him tightly. "Thank you." I whispered in his ear. "Anytime." He wrapped his arms around my thin torso and squeezed.

I had just gone up to my room and opened my book when my phone rang again. It was an unknown number, but I answered it anyway. "Hello?" I pressed my phone to my ear and rolled over onto my back. "Katy?" An unrecognizable female voice sounded through the phone. "Yes? Who is this?" I questioned, yawning. I really should take a nap. I have been awake since six in the morning. "I'm a friend." the person said. I sat up into a sitting position with curiosity creasing my eyebrows. "Okay? Well, what do you want, friend?" I emphasized the word friend mockingly.

"I suggest you take Scarlet's advice and break up with Dylan. Soon." I laughed out loud. Obviously this is her. I have to admit I am pretty impressed that she took to time to track down my number. "Oh okay, friend," I sarcastically said, "please tell me why I should break up with my amazing boyfriend because an obsessive blonde bitch told me that I should?" I filled the question with as much annoyance as I could.

"Because if you don't something bad will happen to the both of you."