Chapter 1

"Katy, come downstairs, I want to see your dress." my mother called to me. "Yes mother." I called back and slipped out of my bedroom. I descended carefully down our winding staircase, making sure to watch my step as I have fallen down them before. "You look stunning honey." she said to me when I reached the bottom in one piece. "Wow Kates, you clean up nice." one of my three older brothers joked, and I laughed.

"So do you."

"So," Tristan said, turning his attention to our mom. "tell me again why we have to dress all fancy for a birthday party?"

"It's a masquerade." I interjected, sighing as my mom fixed my dress.

    Carefully, she proceeded to fix my brothers' ties, since they were pretty awful at tying them for themselves. Then, she walked over to the mirror and checked her hair. "We better go or we'll be late." said my father's voice. Slightly to my left, he was exiting the bathroom and smiling at us.

"You look lovely, darling." he murmured, and then kissed my hair before leading us all out to the limo.

    You see, my dad is a famous movie director. He's worked with anyone and everyone who is anybody in the movie business. We go to premieres often, and meet some of the most famous actors and actresses in the world. My mom owns her own record company and judges on shows like American Idol, The Voice and The X Factor. So together, my parents are like the ultimate power couple. Pretty crazy, huh?

    Now, you may be wondering who I am. Well, my name is Katherine Alyssa Enderson, but everyone calls me Katy. I am nearly nineteen years old. I graduated from high school last month and I'm planning to go to college in the fall. I grew up with three brothers, Tristan, Matt, and Austin, and one sister, Sarah. Sarah left last year for college and comes back every few months or on holidays, but other than that I don't see her.

    I stepped out of the car with Matt's hand on my lower back. Cameras went off around us as we walked towards the music coming from inside. "Katherine, Katherine!" someone rushed up to me and snapped pictures of my dress. Matt tightened his arm around me protectively and led us into the building. All over, people were dancing with each other, not really sure who they were dancing with because of the masks.

    I looked around and realized that my family had left me and I was standing alone by the entrance. Way to get me raped and murdered everyone! Sighing, I grabbed some punch from the table a few feet away and sat down in an empty chair. I watched people dance for a while, which was quite entertaining to be honest, but then a slow dance came on and it got a lot less fun.

     "You don't dance?" a voice asked. I looked to my left and saw a boy dressed in a tux and of course, a mask. By the sound of his voice, he was probably my age. "Well I do, just not today." I explained. He chuckled at me.

"How did you end up at a party like this?"

"My parents forced me and my brothers, mostly me though, because my brothers like to pick up girls." Again, he laughed and took a sip of his drink.

"How did you?"

"Long story."

    We talked for a while longer before I started to get tired and I still couldn't find my parents or my brothers. The masks weren't exactly making it easier. I sighed softly. "You tired?" the boy asked me. "Yeah, I have no idea where my family is." I yawned. "It's getting pretty late." he looked at his watch and stood up, holding his hand out to me. I grabbed it and he assisted me out of my seat. "I'll help you look." he said to me.

"But everyone is wearing masks."

"We'll ask them to take them off."

"Wouldn't that be strange?"

    The boy looked over to wear the music was playing and I could just see a light bulb light up above his head. "Follow me." He grabbed my hand and walked in the direction of the music. The bass in the sound vibrate my ear drums as we approach the DJ.

"Tell everyone to take off their masks!"

"What?!"

"Tell everyone to take their masks off!"

"What?!"

    The boy rolled his eyes and picked up the DJ's microphone. "Since the party is coming to an end, the host would like it if everyone removed their masks and revealed their faces." the boy said into the mic. I looked around and watched everyone remove their masks. He returned the mic and then turned to me.

"Better?"

"Much."

    Slowly, I reached forward and removed his mask, seeing his face for the first time. He smiled at me and then cautiously took off mine. I opened my mouth and began to speak, "I know I should have asked you this about two hours ago, but what's your name?"

"Dylan. I'm Dylan O'Brien."