Chapter 53- A Little Love Surprise

Start from the beginning

The sun shone brightly and it was getting really hot. Avery must be suffering over there. I know! “Hey you stay here for a while. I’ll go get some drinks.” I say to Victoria.

“For Avery?” she replied with one eyebrow raised. I winked at her. Oh she knows where I’m getting at.

I walked over to the barbeque pit. “Hey Av! Want a drink? I’ll go get you some!” I asked. She turned around to face me,” Yeah sure thanks!”

I went inside the house and prepared the drinks. I held the glasses carefully on both hands and made sure I didn’t spill them. I hurried and just as I stepped outside, I saw Avery jogging along the swimming pool. Just as I was about to call her, her foot slipped and she fell in.

NO! But before I could even move an inch, Jessica being the nearest to her jumped in to save her. I froze. I don’t know why but somehow something inside of me refused to move.

I watched as Jessica lifted her out of the swimming pool and laid her down on the ground. I felt immense anger and jealousy surge through me. I should’ve been the one to save her. That should’ve been me.

Jessica checked her breathing. No, is she unconscious? She started doing CPR on her. But as soon as her lips touched hers, my grip on the glass loosened. It dropped on the floor breaking into a million pieces.

I felt a million different emotions I couldn’t comprehend. My heart sank as I watched Jessica. I know it’s wrong but I hate Jessica right now. So much. Why’d it have to be my best friend?

I couldn’t take it anymore. I walked towards the gate, opened it and walked out. I didn’t want to see anymore of that. I felt emotionless yet I’m in pain. I’m not bleeding but why does it hurt so much?

I should’ve told her. That day when we watched the play together. I should’ve confessed to her like a man instead of chickening out like a pussy. I’m a fucking mess. When she finds out that it was Jessica that saved her, she’ll be grateful when that could’ve been me. Sophie got her heart and now my best friend has earned her respect.

And then here I am, a girl that truly loves her has fucking ruined all her chances. Fuck my life. I don’t know whether I should give up or carry on. I knew there was a bar near here. I hailed a taxi and reached there shortly.

I went in using my fake ID card. Immediately, I ordered two shots of vodka. I was going to drink my sorrows away.

Avery:

“Alright everybody, she’s fine. It’s okay.” Jessica said.

I sat upright. Victoria came over and hugged me,” Oh my goodness Avery! You scared me! You’re okay right? That was quite a fall.”

“Fall? Huh?” I asked in confusion.

Victoria explained,” You tripped and fell into the swimming pool. Luckily, Jessica jumped in to save you. She even did CPR!” I turned to Jessica,” You saved me? Thank you.”

She nodded her head. “Okay everybody. The party can start. She’s fine.” Jessica ordered. Everybody obeyed and went back. Wow. I have to say she’s quite remarkable. No wonder she’s the team captain.

Victoria helped me up my feet and the party went on as usual until evening. Most of my teammates had already gone home. “Hey Av, do you know where Michelle went? She’s been missing throughout the whole party. I tried contacting her on her phone but she hasn’t been answering my calls.” Jessica asked.

I totally forgot about Michelle. Then I remembered that she had walked out the gate. “I’m not sure but I saw her walk out the gate when I regained consciousness. I thought she would come back but I guess she didn’t.” I said.