The Blackboard Jungle // Part One

With the holiday season finally over, life went back to normal

With the holiday season finally over, life went back to normal. Normal for Riverdale, that is.

Chaos was still lurking around every corner, especially in the Lodge home. I had been told many times that week to hang out in my room unless I wanted to get caught up in the drama of my parents and sister.

I had seen a range of people come through the hallway in the past week that I couldn't even count them all. The only important one was Mayor McCoy. Whatever my parents had her involved with, was probably illegal, no surprise.

Currently, I was getting ready for our first day back after break. I was dreading going back, as anyone would. I made my way into the hallway before walking towards Ronnie's room.

"...I'll keep my classmates from revolting when the news breaks."

I walked in her room, my eyes on my phone. "When what news..." I looked up, seeing both of my parents turn to face me. "Actually, never mind. Forget I asked. Ron, you ready?"

She gave me a tight lipped smile before grabbing her bag off the bed. We bid our parents goodbye before we started our journey to school. As soon as we were in the building, Archie was right on our tail, calling out Veronica's name. She twisted to look as the redhead came up in between us.

"Hey," My sister greeted, giving her boyfriend a smile.

"Hey," Archie responded before continuing, "Did you tell anyone about my dad's hospital bill?"

Veronica rolled her eyes. "Hmm, did I? I may have mentioned it to my mom and dad in passing." Archie went to protest but my sister shook her head. "They wanted to help. And they have the means to help."

I clutched my coffee tightly in my hands as I stepped forward. "What, is your dad upset?"

"Upset?" Archie repeated as Veronica grabbed his hand. "Ronnie...I'm crazy about you."

My eyes widened as I turned on my heel. "And that's my cue to leave." I made my way around them to walk into the student lounge as heads turned towards us. I gave Kevin and Betty a smile as I adjusted myself on Kevin's armchair.

"Kev, how was your extra spectacular break?" I asked with a teasing smile.

He rolled his eyes, shoving his bookmark in between the pages. "As you said, Banana. Extra spectacular."

You opened your mouth to continue the conversation but were cut off as the PA system kicked in.

"Students of Riverdale High, this is your principal speaking. Emails have been sent to your parents, but effective immediately, Southside High School is shut down. And its students will be transferred to other schools in the district, including this one."

Kevin's eyes caught mine as he mouthed 'Oh, my God', earning a nod in agreement from me. I tuned out Weatherbee as the student lounge broke into chaos. When Ronnie came into view, I could see her telling everyone to keep their chill.