Tales from the Darkside // Part One

"She's not yours anymore! You lost any rights to her when you left her beaten and bruised ten years ago!"

"You can't stop me from seeing my own daughter."

Well, hold on. Let me backup. I have to tell you how we ended up here.

Three Days Ago...

"God, Forsythe, you gotta let me breathe," I mumbled as I tugged on Jughead's arms. They were wrapped tightly around my waist, keeping me close to his chest. He whispered something in his sleep but let go, allowing me to twist away. Jughead was great for a human heater but I was a little too toasty at the moment.

Pushing myself up, I started my way into the kitchen. I made myself and Jughead coffee before returning into the bedroom. Snuggling back under the covers, I grabbed my phone off the charger to scroll through the notifications as a text came through.

B&V&S
2 iMessages

I tapped on the notification, opening my messages to the group convo containing Betty, Veronica and me. Betty was the one who had texted. I heard from Ronnie that they arrested Jughead's teacher, the Sugar Man, but now, I don't think he was in jail.

So...

Kevin just texted me to tell me the Sugar Man was shot last night in the holding cell...

My jaw dropped at Betty's message as I flipped onto my back, shaking Jughead awake. He groaned and looked at me with tired eyes.

"What?" He mumbled as he adjusted his position.

I turned my phone to face him. "The Sugar Man was shot last night at the police station."

Jughead reacted instantly, grabbing my phone out of my hand. His eyes read the screen as he absorbed the information before flopping back against his pillow.

I sighed and buried my face in my own pillow. "I thought we'd finally outsmarted him, Jug. By having Mr. Phillips arrested, I thought Betty was saving his life but instead..."

"Sav. Philips didn't deserve what was happening to him, but he was...a high school teacher dealing drugs. I mean, if it-"

"How the hell did the Black Hood even get into the Sheriff's station anyway? Unless he..." I trailed off as I sorted through the information. The only way someone could get in was if they were the sheriff themselves.

Jughead looked down at me as he pulled me into his side. "What?" When I didn't respond he moved his hand to brush hair away from my face. "Well? What is it, Poirot?"

I shook my head, bringing myself back to reality. "Nothing, it's too crazy."

The sound of a phone ringing broke us apart. Jughead let go of me to roll over and answer. I sighed and closed my eyes. As much as I didn't want it to even be possible, all I could think of was Sheriff Keller being the Black Hood.