Chapter 10

"You are absolutely crazy!" Akira shouted, and I rolled my eyes.

        "I'm just going to a friend's house," I said, shrugging my heavy jacket on. "I'll be back in a couple of days."

        "B-bu-but!" Akira stammered, her eyes wide.

        "Problem?" I asked mockingly, pausing in my approach to the door that was calling my name.

        "You can't go!" she exclaimed, and I found my interest baited.

        "And why not?" I asked, leaning against the wall.

        "B-because," Akira finished lamely, and I scoffed mockingly.

        "Until you can actually tell me the truth, consider me no longer your room mate, or your friend," I said with a sneer in her direction before I stalked out of the house, slamming the door behind me.

        I walked down the driveway towards my car, ignoring the rain gushing down around me. I was angry at her and everyone else for leaving me out of everything. As much as I wish that I didn't mean what I told her, I really did mean every word. I was tired of everyone's bullshit.

        I climbed into my car and began driving off, listening to Avril Lavigne's song, Let Me Go, which described the way I was feeling. I wiped away the tears streaming down my face and continued to drive, my windshield wipers working at double speed in an effort to allow me to see what was going on on the road. As much as I just wanted to let go of everything, I still didn't want to get into an accident.

        Suddenly, my phone rang, my ringtone of Friend Like Me a daunting difference compared to the mood inside my car. I picked it up, keeping one careful eye on the road, only to grimace when I saw the caller ID. I declined the call and tossed my phone into the passenger seat. A few minutes later, my phone rang again, but I just ignored it.

        I hoped that the people trying to call me, mostly Akira, got the idea that I didn't want anything to do with them anymore. I was breaking free of my memories. I had no idea where I was going to go, but I wasn't staying in that town anymore. I was done being left out of everything. If they really cared about me, they would tell me the truth, even if it could hurt me. So they obviously didn't care about me anymore.

        "Love that once hung on the wall

Used to mean something, but now it means nothing

The echoes are gone in the hall

But I still remember, the pain of December

Oh, there isn't one thing left you could say

I'm sorry it's too late

I'm breaking free from these memories

Gotta let it go, just let it go

I've said goodbye

Set it all on fire

Gotta let it go, just let it go

[Chad Kroeger]

You came back to find I was gone

And that place is empty, like the hole that was left in me

Like we were nothing at all

It's not what you meant to me

Thought we were meant to be

Oh, there isn't one thing left you could say

I'm sorry it's too late

I'm breaking free from these memories

Gotta let it go, just let it go

I've said goodbye

Set it all on fire

Gotta let it go, just let it go

I let it go (and now I know)

A brand new life (is down this road)

And when it's right (you always know)

So this time (I won't let go)

There's only one thing left here to say

Love's never too late

I've broken free from those memories

I've let it go, I've let it go

And two goodbyes, led to this new life

Don't let me go, don't let me go

Don't let me go, don't let me go, don't let me go, don't let me go

Won't let you go, don't let me go

Won't let you go, don't let me go."

        "Don't let me go," I whispered, wiping away another tear, "and I won't let you go."

        Suddenly, there was the sound of screeching tires and my gaze snapped upwards. I was horrified to discover there was a car flying out of the darkened rain and mist, heading straight for me. My heart was pounding and I yanked the streering wheel to the side in an attempt to miss the car.

        Everything started to move in slow motion, my adrenaline splitting every second up so it was easier for me to process. The car continued to hurtle forward, and I caught sight of the driver, a frightened woman with wide eyes. It appeared that she'd lost control of her cherry red car and it was hurtling forwards through empty space.

        My car began to hurtle forward, and I nearly began to scream as it started to do flips. Over and over, my car flipped over, rolling towards to the edge of the road. The fact that the road was slick with rain that was still pouring down from the heavy clouds wasn't helping any. The water watering the land made it difficult to see things, but I could still appreciate the beauty of the moment.

        My eyes fluttered closed and the sound of crunching metal and more screeching tires filled my ears. Without my permission, a single image floated into my mind.

        Will was reaching out for me, crying out my name in concern, but Alex was pulling me towards him. The single image left me torn and in the split second left before the pain reached my brain, I made my decision.

        But I was never given the chance to complete it, because the pain hit my brain and body like a truck slammed into my already broken body. I collapsed against the seat, sprawling out. I could feel a warm liquid trickling down from my forehead, and my fingers brushed the buzzing cover of my phone. I forced my eyes open to see the caller ID read 'Will' before everything was swallowed up by the darkness.

        I gratefully slid into unconciousness, eager to escape the pain. The only pain that accompanied me was the ache in my heart as I left him behind, floating off to be with Alex. A picture of Will crying over my grave was painted in my mind, stark against the black background, and a single, warm, salty tear slid down my cheek.