1

"How fucking cliche can you get?" Nikolai says as he walks into the alley.

"Nikolai!" Natalia screams in terror to him for help.

"Nikolai," the vampire holding the girl says scared.

"Dmitri," Nikolai says casually. "What are you doing?" Nikolai's voice is cold. The girl's fear is damn near suffocating. Her little pants of terror are making it difficult for Nikolai to control himself.

"Makarov, if you bite that girl I'll kill you myself." Makarov drops the girl immediately and she falls to the ground whimpering.

Lightning flashes and the rain that had been threatening all day starts to fall. 

"Dmitri, why the hell are you still holding the human?" Nikolai demands and lets his fangs show.

"Nikolai?" the girl whimpers.

"Nikolai, this girl seems to know you. She even seems to expect you to save her." Dmitri is really pushing Nikolai by talking so sarcastically and disrespectfully to him.

The next thing Dmitri knows is he's ten feet away from the others. His body is imprinted onto the bricks of the building that had stopped him.

"That's because, Dmitri," Nikolai picks the girl up and holds her to him. "She has that right."

"What's going on here?" A dark and menacing voice says coming into the alley. The rain drips from his fedora. Nikolai curses silently to himself.

"I found Dmitri and Makarov about to kill these two humans." Nikolai explains to the newcomer.

The new figure goes to the girl in Nikolai's arms and looks at the one still whimpering. "Their fear is intoxicating.

"Dmitri, stay where you are before my son kills you." Dmitri halts immediately. Nikolai would easily tear him apart.

The new comer inhales deeply. "The one in your arms, her blood calls. It smells delicious. She'll make a delightful meal." Then he bends down and breathes in next to the fallen girl.

"This one," he grabs her chin and holds it tight, "I'll be taking this one home. She'll make many delightful meals."

"Nikolai," the girl in his arms whimpers.

"No, father," Nikolai says. "These girls are under my protection. Neither of them will become meals for us."

The man straightens upright and looks at his son hard. There is an air of incredulity, but nothing is shown on his face. "You may be my son, Nikolai, but that will not stop me from taking what I want from you. Do not disobey me." His voice is cold and full of menace.

"They are under my protection father. I will put my life on the line for them. Do you wish for that?" Nikolai says gently setting the girl onto her feet and stepping in front of her.

The girl immediately goes over to the downed girl. She pulls the girl into her arms and holds her tight.

The dark stranger holds still and studies his son. "You would fight for them? They are nothing more than humans. They would both make a great deal of money at the auctions."

"They won't be sold at auction nor will they become dinner," Nikolai states once again.

"Why do you put your life on the line for humans?"

"One is my girlfriend and the other is her best friend. I won't allow them to be harmed. I'd rather not fight you, but if you insist by pushing this I will."

"Even if it should end your life?" The stranger says incredulously.

Nikolai bows his head. "Yes," he says looking back up. "I wouldn't enjoy it and it would likely end with my death, but I would do my best to protect them."

The man scoffs but when Nikolai flashes his fangs the two meet violently halfway between them. The fighting is too fast to follow. Another figure enters the alley and makes sure that the two girls are kept safe from the fighting vampires.

Nikolai's father takes Nikolai and throws him back. "Enough, Nikolai your humans are off limits. Have Sebastian take them home. You will need to mark them to fully protect them. Otherwise another vampire might take them to the auctions or feed on them."

"Thank you father," Nikolai says and stands up from his battle position.

"We will talk about payment for them at home later." Nikolai's father says coldly.

"Yes, father."

"Sebastian, bring them here. Dmitri, Makarov you two weren't authorized to hunt outside the clubs. Go to the estate and wait for punishment."

"Yes, boss," Dmitri and Makarov say in unison.

"Nikolai," the first girl cries out and runs to him. She throws her arms around him and starts crying.

Nikolai's forbidding countenance softens as he holds the human girl to him. The cold and angry tones leave his voice, "Natalia, are you okay?" Nikolai pulls a bit away from her so he can take a proper look at her.

"I'm fine, just scared. Vampires?" Natalia says scared and shaking.

"Yes," Nikolai answers shortly.

Now Natalia looks at him with fear, "Nikolai, are you a vampire?"

Nikolai looks at Sebastian, "Take Samantha to her apartment."

"Yes, Nikolai." Sebastian gently picks up the traumatized girl. "You'll feel better once you're home lass."

Nikolai watches until Sebastian is gone from the alley then turns his enigmatic gaze to Natalia. He takes a deep breath, "Yes, Natalia, I'm a vampire."

Natalia stares, not fully comprehending. "What just happened? How come those other vampires backed off when you told them too? Who are they?" Natalia starts hyperventilating. Everything is just becoming too much for her.

Nikolai pulls her closer and holds her until her panic subsides and she relaxes enough for her breathing to even out to normal levels. "They took off because," Nikolai smiles, "not only are we vampires, but we are also the mafia. My father, the older vampire," he didn't look much older than Nikolai, "I fought with is the boss and his name is Ivan. Dmitri is a soldier as is Makarov, the vampire that had Samantha. I could easily kill them both and they know it."

Natalia is listening closely, "What about Sebastian? He always is so charming, funny and urbane." Natalia says looking and sounding more than a little lost. Samantha has a huge crush on him.

"Sebastian is my best friend and has been for a very long time. He is also my father's third, just under me."

Nikolai looks at Natalia and studies her thoughtfully. He comes to a decision. "How much do you want to know?"

"I don't know," Natalia says as her teeth start chattering as the rain soaks through her clothes.

Nikolai looks dismayed, "I am being thoughtless here. Come let's get you to your place. You need a hot shower and dry clothes. Once you're comfortable I'll answer any questions you and likely Samantha will have."

Natalia has one more question though that she needs answered now. "Will you or Sebastian bite us?"

Nikolai looks at her tenderly and caresses her cheek with his finger. "You are off limits by my father's orders, but Sebastian wouldn't touch you without my permission any way." With that he picks her up and runs back to her apartment that she shares with Samantha. They are back before Natalia even realizes that he had picked her up.

"Go and shower, I'll have some hot tea ready for you when you're done." Nikolai says as they enter the apartment.