9

Natalia gasps, Nikolai pulls her close. "I never knew why. I've always thought he hated me. That's why he turned me, he just told me today the real reason.

"His maker was a weak vampire. Father would sneak off and watch over me as I was growing up. His maker was jealous and finally ordered my father to kill me. 

"Father was angry enough with the order that he was able to break the maker child bonds, but his maker's order was too strong for him to break away from. He had no choice. He had to kill me, so he did, but he brought me back. It was the thought of never seeing me again that was too painful for father.

"I could have gotten married, it's what father wanted. He was looking forward to my wedding. But when you are a newly made vampire, the desire for blood is overwhelming. The last thing I wanted was to kill my Anna. So father left my body to be found the next day.

"For our village, we burned our dead. It's a sure fire way to make sure that the people don't come back as vampires.

"Dad switched my body with that of someone that was unfortunate enough to be around at the wrong time.
"Anna married my friend. I paid him a little visit and made sure that he never hit her or our child when she was born." Nikolai has to stop and collect himself.

"For years I watched from a distance as my daughter grew. She was as beautiful as her mother. They both had the infectious smile and laughter. I was never more jealous of another than I was then of my friend.

"Ana gave him a son and so he was content as well.

"Perhaps if things had remained like that I wouldn't be here now." 

Natalia turns to him and holds him. "The plague swept across Europe killing whole villages, towns and large parts of the cities. Sanitation wasn't among the high points of those days.

"Eventually it made its way to my village. It struck with devastating force. Almost the entire village, Anna and my daughter included." Nikolai's voice turns dark even as Natalia gasps in pain for him.

"With no further reason to hold back father and I wreaked our vengeance. We killed those that were healthy and those that remained were infected and left to die. We traveled all over Russia all the way to Asia. 

"At times we would stay in the larger cities. If we did I would take a pet as a lover. I had many children, Natalia. Half vampire children when they come to a certain age pass through a change turning them completely vampire.

"By the time we reached China between my children and the vampires that bonded to me, because of our strength, were a considerable force to be reckoned with. We swept down out of Siberia and destroyed the vampires of China and the other Asian countries. They were terrified of us and they should have been.

"The fight was bloody. More than half our forces were dead, but the Asian vampires were decimated.

"We took our time working our way through Asia. Leaving our bonded vampires behind to take care of business."

"What are bonded vampire's, Nikolai?"

"The vampire version of a pet. They willingly bond to another vampire. Usually only done if the one they are bonding too is more powerful and they need the protection.

"By the time we reached India, our forces were once more rebuilt. Many of them my children once more.

"Before we returned back to Europe father wanted to take a little side trip into Egypt. The pyramids and some of their other works were magnificent, but over all I wasn't impressed. But there was an Egyptian princess that did. She made a lovely pet and gave me several children. They are the ones we left in charge of Africa.

"After that we made our way back through Europe.

"By the time we were done we ruled all the vampires on three continents. North and South America had yet to be discovered. Once they were we made sure to be on the ships over here as well.

"In time even these continents were conquered by us. That made five continents and then we sent representatives to Australia. All the vampires either owed us allegiance or kept themselves away from us. As long as they followed our rules and didn't cause us problems we left them alone."

"So if they are your children and the vampires bonded to you, why are you the prince and not the king?"

"Because I give my allegiance to my father. At least for as long as we don't have cross purposes."

"Did you ever meet Count Dracula?"

"Vlad the impaler. Nasty little man but brilliant tactician. He wasn't a vampire, but he knew about us and asked us for our help. We ate very well during those times of conflict.

"Natalia, something you should know, Sebastian is my son. After me, Sebastian and his sister Rosalie are the oldest living vampires. All the other vampires older than father and myself are either dead or hiding."

"How old are they?"

"Near abouts four hundred years."

"Their mother was the Scottish queen. I was her top advisor. I took her as my pet and she had my bastards. 

"We were at war with the English. I was away with the troops. With me leading the way we were slowly beating the English back. I went to give my report to my pet and found her with a new lover. He was actually working with the English lord we were currently fighting.

"I was furious. I was fighting for her and she was busy fucking the enemy. I took my children and left.

"Without me the English troops were able to break through the lines and the English man betrayed my pet. He had her taken to the dungeon.

"The English lord came strutting into the Castle and brought his wife with him. He raped my pet in front of the entire court and his wife.

"Now I was angry with her, but doing that infuriated me. I left my children in care of my father and went back to the castle. I decimated the English forces. I took the English lords wife in front of him and she was screaming in pleasure as I made her my pet.

"She was smiling as she plunged her knife into her husband as I ordered.

"I released my pet from the dungeon where she'd been kept and left once more. Shortly after that I heard that she killed herself because she was with the child of the English lord.

"When we came over to the States to establish our new headquarters Sebastian chose to come with us. Rosalie, she became our emissary. She likes to travel, she'll be here for the wedding though."

"She'll hate me." Natalia says with a very dry throat.

"No, she won't. She'll be happy that you have made me happy." Nikolai reassures her.