Chapter 19 - The Parents

"What if they hate me?"

The car pulls up the driveway, a long gravel road lined with green trees. After two hours, my legs ache to get out of the car and stretch. However, my mind is loudly protesting and wants to do a u-turn and go home.

"They won't. Don't worry," Dean reassures me, looking over at me with a coy smile. I don't answer, only take in the property as it slowly passes me. Suddenly, the trees disappear and the driveway widens and becomes a small roundabout in front of the gigantic home that Dean described as a relatively big house. Apparently, he didn't emphasize the adjective enough.

"Your parents live in a mansion?" I gape. Dean parks the car and shrugs his shoulders.

"I guess..."

"Fuck." I look down at my ratty clothes. I hadn't noticed it before, but my shirt has a paint stain right smack dab in the middle. "I can't meet them like this. I look like I don't have a home."

"Elisabeth, you're fine-"

"This is just wonderful. You're parents are gonna think I'm not even trying to impress them. I can't believe this stain didn't come out. I thought it did. Ugh, I should have planned this out better. I look like a slob. You know what? Let's go back. We'll come back another time. We can say I had the flu or something, right?" I'm slightly breathless when my rant is over. Dean starts chuckling at me. "It's not funny!"

"It kinda is..."

"I'm freaking out! I'm a sewer rat compared to you guys."

Dean's smile disappears and all of a sudden he grabs me by the chin. "No, you're not. Don't say that."

I don't get to answer before Dean exits the car and opens the trunk. While he is taking out our suitcases, I climb out and stand behind him, wrapping my arms around his waist. "Sorry. I'm being stupid."

Dean chuckles and turns around in my grasp. "I'll judge you after I have met your parents." He plants a quick kiss on my lips and grabs my hands in his. "You ready?"

I nod and we walk over to the front door. What looks to be Dean's father opens it, Dean hugs him and then the attention is on me.

"The famous Elisabeth, I presume," he says and takes my hand firmly. "I'm Ed."

"It's nice to meet you," I gush, giving my best smile despite my hand being crushed.

"Yeah, it's nice to finally meet you to." I don't miss the disappointed indication in his voice and I'd have to be blind to not notice the glance he sent Dean. "Come on in. Dinner's ready."

The dining room is right across from the entrance. It is grand with a big mahogany table filling up most of the space. In the corners are dark-wooded tables with flowers. The room looks almost royal.

"Finally, she arrives!"

My admirations are interrupted when Dean's mother comes through a door to my left, a short, thin lady with coffee-colored hair. She flashes her bleached teeth at me and gives me a tight hug.

"It's so nice to meet you, at last," she chuckles. "I was starting to think you didn't want to meet us."

I don't get to answer because Dean steps in firmly. "Mom."

She waves him off. "Anyways, the most important part is that you're here! Elisabeth Bleu, right? Gorgeous name you have there. I'm Diana."

"It's nice to meet you."

I've been here two minutes and that is the only thing I have said.

After having sat down, servants come out with the dinner. As if I'm in a movie, they lift the silver domes covering the food and present us a steaming plate of beef and potatoes. My heart sinks.