Chapter 10 - Another Glass

The venue is probably bigger than my apartment building. You don't need to know it's Ashley's birthday party to understand that her name is written on everything in here. From the gigantic chandelier hanging from the high ceiling to the humongous buffet stretching from one corner to the other with cakes and snacks to feed an army. It's appropriate though, since we are probably over 300 people in here. I don't understand how she can have this many friends, but I guess that's the perks of having a millionaire dad and coming from the upper class of New York City.

I nervously walk into the large ballroom, my hands fiddling nervously over my stomach. I wish Ashley would invite Fern so I could have someone to talk to, but even if she did, I know Fern never in a million years would attend such a superficial event as a birthday party. That's just not her.

I leave my gift by the table overflowing with presents of all kinds. Mine looks ridiculously small and measly compared to many here, but I'm far from the richest person in this room too. I wonder how much money is in this venue right now, because I think I could live a pretty wealthy life with it if it were mine.

I hear squeal and all of a sudden I am enveloped by a pair of skinny arms and my face is buried in pounds of blonde hair extensions.

"Happy birthday!" I say once I understand who I'm hugging and squeeze her even harder back. Ashley pulls away and smiles greatly at me.

"Thank you! What do you think? I planned it all myself!" She gestures to the party and I hum in appreciation, looking around me.

"It's spectacular, you have very good taste-"

"ASHLEY! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

I am interrupted by two girls I have no idea who is basically attacking Ashley with their hugs and pulling her away from my proximity. Sighing, I don't find it in me to try and win her back so I walk away from the scene and check out the buffet. It's what usually happens at her parties so I'm used to it.

"Elisabeth?" I hear and if it wasn't for the feminine voice, I would have thought it was Adam. Willow comes over, a tray with undoubtedly expensive champagne in tall glasses balancing on her hand. For a second I admire how she is able to carry the tray, seeing as I would've dropped a glass or two by now, or at least spilled all over it, but then I smile and take a glass instead.

"Hi, you work here?" I question, sipping on the drink.

"Yeah, I take what I can get, you know," she chuckles and gestures to my dress. "You look gorgeous, by the way."

"Thanks, Ashley bought it for me."

Willow raises her brows. "The host? Oh, wait is she..."

The words hang in the air for a second and I nod slowly. Is she the Ashley that is dating the guy I'm madly in love with? Yes. Yes, she is.

"I may or may not have slept with Adam," I say as lowly as I can over the live music. Willow's eyes widen at this new information and she almost drops the tray to the ground.

"What?" she gapes and sets the tray on the table to avoid making any unnecessary damage. I purse my lips and nod.

"It's complicated, but I have to pretend nothing happened so that Ash doesn't find out."

"Wait, so that means... Is Adam here now?"

Pursing my lips, I nod once again. My eyes fall to the floor. I don't know if I want to meet him here, because I know everything will be different than that beautiful morning in his apartment. He would never hug me, much less kiss me here. I'm not even sure he would acknowledge my presence. The thought makes my bruised heart ache.