Chapter 13 - The Point Where You Chuck Pillows at the Wall

"So because Adam felt that he had to gush out 'I need to see you!' before Ashley even got a word in, Adam, Ashley, Dean and I are going on a double date Dean doesn't even know about!"

I'm basically screaming and again my subconscious nags at me about the neighbors. Why don't I live in a mansion?

Wait, now I remember the gazillion reasons why.

"Well, that sounds promising. Dean seems like a real keeper." Fern swings her arm like Popeye does and winks animatedly. Once again I feel like hitting a wall. I do not want to lie to Ashley, I do not want to meet Dean again (awkward) and I definitely do not want to go on a date with him and the guy I actually am in love with. Adam, why are you so stupid?

However, this was the best lie I managed to come up with within the span of ten seconds. "Well, you caught us! We're planning a surprise double date with you, Adam, me and...Dean...?"

"Fuck, I don't have Dean's number!" I groan and fall down on the couch. Fern, who is sitting in the arm chair next to it humphs and crosses her legs up under her.

"And you can't really ask Ashley for it," she jests lightly, trying to brighten my bitter mood. I want to smile but my whole body protests and my brain is basically harassing me by throwing all worries that can possibly exist my way.

"Does Adam have his number?" Fern proposes. I can see she's trying to help me solve my problem, but all I want to do now is throw a brick at her. I'm an ungrateful bitch, yes, but I'm also a panicking female too.

I pick up my phone and dial Adam, pacing back and forth like a madman. My heart is beating hard in my chest and my palms are sweating. Please pick up. Please have his number.

"Hi, look, I'm sorry about earlier-"

"Can you start the conversation with a simple hello for once!" I exclaim into the phone, groaning and rubbing my forehead. "What if it was Ashley again?"

I hear Adam curse on the other end. "Sorry, sorry," he mutters. "But what's up? What happened after you hung up on me?" I sense the slight bitterness in his tone but I ignore it. Serves him right for almost fucking everything up.

"Do you have Dean's number?" I disregard his questions.

"Dean who?"

"Dean..." It's only now I realize I barely even know this Dean guy. I don't even know his last name. Fuck. "Uh, Dean, brown hair, five o'clock shadow, thick brows, really blue eyes. He was wearing a navy suit at the party..."

"Wait, Dean Jackson?" Adam questions, obviously flustered. "You were at the party with him?"

I pause for a second, darting into my room and closing the door for some privacy. "Yes..."

I hear Adam sigh. He sounds hurt and I desperately don't want him to connect two and two. "Were you speaking the truth when you said you made out with someone?" he asks.

My stomach drops and my instincts are telling me to drop the call at once. Mayday! Mayday! Abort mission! But all that happens is that a long, eerie silence appears and it not only speaks for itself, but I know that it hurts more than any of my words ever could do.

"And that someone was Dean..." It's more of a statement than a question. I nod even though he can't see me, but again the silence tells him all he needs to know.

"I was drunk," I mutter when I realize Adam isn't going to answer in a while. "I was angry and drunk and that's a really bad combination, apparently." I chuckle breathily, trying to lighten the mood but Adam isn't playing along. I decide to switch the subject, seeing as this conversation is becoming way to tense for me. "We're going on a double date. You, Ashley, Dean and me."

But the mood has been killed and Adam only replies with a cool 'ok'.

"Do you have his number?" I ask queasily, feeling utmost uncomfortable asking for that when I just admitted what I did.

But Adam hangs up and I'm stuck staring at a phone beeping to tell me someone doesn't want to talk to me. Well, thanks, phone, for telling me that.

After trying to call him up twice without an answer I chuck the phone at my bed and straight out scream – no pillow to mute it. The whole apartment is filled with my voice and at the moment, I don't care if the whole building hears me. Fuck them! Fuck the whole block! Fuck New York City! Fuck everyone!

Fern comes in to check on me but I push her out and slam the door in her face, locking it all the same. I want to buy a cabin in the middle of the woods and move there alone, having one person buying me groceries to survive on. I hate society. It just complicates everything.

I'm in the middle of chucking pillows at the wall when my phone buzzes from the bed. Despite my protest against communication at the moment, I look over at the screen to see an unknown number flashing across it. I don't want to answer it, but a small voice in the back of my minds suggests that it might be Dean.

"Hello?" I put on my best nice-voice at the moment and am left disappointed when a female voice replies on the other end.

"Hi, I'm calling from Walmart and I was wondering if you would like to answer some questions about your daily grocery routine and-"

"Nope, bye." I hang up the phone and am about to toss it away when it starts buzzing again with an unknown number. Feeling like shouting at someone, I answer it sourly, holding the device so hard by fingertips turn white. "What do you want?!" I shout into the microphone.

"Elisabeth?"

My blood turns cold as I realize I am not talking to a sales person but a guy I've been trying to reach all day.

"Dean?"

He chuckles and confirms my fear. "I was just calling to ask you out... is it a bad time?"

I have to swallow and mentally slap myself to force something out. "No, no! I thought you were a sales person or something, it doesn't matter." I sit down on the edge of my bed to stop my pacing and run my fingers through my hair. "And yeah, I would love to go out with you. I was actually trying to reach you..." I am aware of my trailing and pinch my thigh so I snap out it.

"You were? Oh, well that's a relief. I was hoping you hadn't forgotten me or something, it was really fun hanging out with you." Dean's voice is warm and friendly, a complete contrast to the other guy I was just talking to.

"This time I'll make sure to stay somewhat sober," I chortle, feeling my mood lifting considerably until I remember the actual reason I needed to speak to him. "Uhm, actually, how does a double date sound?"

"A double date?" He sounds taken aback and I want to physically slap myself for tangling myself up in this web of lies.

"Yeah, with Ashley and Adam." I pretend I'm not as flustered as I actually am and put on a smile just for the sake of it, even though, once again, no one can see me. Dean, being the nice guy he is, agrees and we hang up. Only the date to go, I suppose.

How do you think Elizabeth handled the situation? How would you have?

Stay tuned for the next chapter! I guess it's pretty obvious what it is about 😉