Chapter 4 - Coffee, Coffee, Coffee

New update yay! Sorry, I completely forgot to post this chapter on Friday! It won't happen again!

"Are you flirting with my boyfriend?" she playfully teases, shrugging off her jacket and kicking off her shoes. I nervously chuckle and walk over to the couch, picking up my wine glass and swallowing a gulp of wine along with my thoughts about kissing Adam. Not that they cease to exist, but at least it helps me with pushing them away for the moment being.

I awkwardly stand alone as Adam and Ashley kiss and exchange romantic hellos. It feels like an eternity before they leave each other's embrace, and by then I've scarfed down even more wine. My head is now getting dizzy and I know I'm going to say something very embarrassing tonight.

"Uhm," I mumble and lean towards the wall. "I think I have to go."

Ashley's eyebrows raise. "What? Now? I thought you were staying the night," she whimpers.

"Yeah, I don't feel too well," I half-lie. My balance could be better but I've been with Ashley through worse.

"Oh, I'll drive you!"

"No!" My voice comes out harsher than I intended it to and I clear my throat self-consciously. "I mean, I'll just hail a cab. Don't worry." I walk over to the clothing rack and put on my jacket fumblingly. Adam and Ashley don't say anything as I get dressed and the awkward atmosphere feels suffocating. "Bye," I say as I step into the elevator. Ashley smiles wistfully and Adam avoids looking at me after a short nod.

When the doors close, it feels as if all the tears that have built up the last three years pour out of me. I don't know why I feel so emotional...or well I do. The wine has done a lot of things for me tonight, and it's not that I regret them, for example dancing with Adam. However, I don't know how, but I got my hopes up for some reason. I didn't think it through I suppose. It's just that this is the most I've ever spoken to him and it meant a lot for me. I don't think he even noticed.

The elevator doors open and I walk out sniffling. A girl sitting on the bench in the lobby looks up at me and I almost sprint out the door. God, I'm so pathetic. Running out crying when nothing even happened. When did I become that girl?

The chilly air outside cools my heated face and instead of searching for a vacant cab, I start walking down the sidewalk in jogger shorts and a ragged old t-shirt. What am I even doing? I don't know where I'm heading. All I know is that it's towards my apartment, but that is a forty minute walk. Why did Ashley let me go outside by myself? I'm drunk and heartbroken. Who knows what I'll do?

But I don't risk my life walking into the middle of the street or balancing on the edge of a roof. I don't even do anything particularly interesting.

Somberly I walk into a random coffee shop. The strong smell of coffee and warmth hits me like a truck once I'm inside. The shop is small and cozy. I've never seen it before.

I sit down on a bar stool and lean my head in my palm. A barista comes over. "What can I get you?" she asks. When I look up at her, her expression changes to sympathetic. "You okay there?" I should be offended that she thinks I look that horrible, but to be honest I don't blame her for noticing. I probably look like hell.

Thinking about it, I'm barely even dressed.

"Not really," I admit. "But I'd like an iced chai tea latte though." A second passes. "Please."

A little amused the barista smiles and starts making my drink. "Are you drunk?" she asks.

"Yeah."

"Figured."

"Then why'd you ask?"

"Meh, just starting conversation, not much to do right now."