Chapter 14 - Half as Formal, Twice as Sexy

I'm applying my makeup when Fern comes into the bathroom, hands on her hips like a true high school Queen Bee.

"Have you ever even entertained the thought of quitting this whole mess while you still can?" she asks, putting on the best motherly tone she can muster. I turn around, the mascara wand still in hand, and frown at her.

"Why are you saying this now? I really like Adam and you know that." I shake my head at her, putting the wand back in the tube so it doesn't dry out. "Besides, I'm not a quitter."

Turning around, I put on the final coat of mascara and plug in the curling iron.

"Well, don't you think this has gone a little too far?" She gestures to my dress and high heels. "I mean, a double date with a random guy and the guy you're having an affair with?"

"I know what is happening!" I snap back at her. "You don't need to remind me."

Fern gives me a look that says Well, I've done what I could do and saunters out of the bathroom. I feel the knot in my stomach tighten but ignore it for now. It's a given that tonight will be awkward for Adam and I, but with the right behavior from the both of us, maybe it won't end in disaster...?

I finish curling my hair and look at myself in the mirror. I look the same as before everything happened. Red hair, green eyes and sparse freckles that only appear in the summer despite my stereotype appearance. I'm as pale as a corpse and being friends with Ashley in the summer makes me look straight out white, seeing as she tans like a hot dog on the grill.

However, my insides are different and I feel so horrible yet amazing at the same time. I go through these self-doubting periods for the few but glorious moments with Adam when the world isn't looking. When he looks at me like he looks at Ashley in front of others.

Is it worth it? one might wonder. But this is what I have been dreaming about ever since I first saw him and I can't stop now. I'm in too deep.

At least that is what I'm telling myself as I exit the bathroom.

All of a sudden the intercom rings throughout the apartment and I walk over, shaking my nerves out by waving my arms from side to side. However, it's not Dean's voice I hear once I press the speaker-button.

"Willow?" I point out quizzically.

"Hey, what's up?" she asks.

"Uhm, well I'm leaving soon, but come on up for a minute if you want to!" I press the key-button and a couple of minutes later Willow is coming through the door.

"I have a phone, you know," I chuckle, feeling kind of restless seeing as I'm being picked up any minute now.

"Sorry, sorry. I was just in the area and thought I'd stop by to see how you are... you kind of disappeared at the party and you were drunk so I got a little worried but now I'm only curious." Then she noticed my attire and rose her eyebrows. "Well, where are you headed?"

I hum amusedly. "Well-" But the intercom rings out loudly again, interrupting me all the same. "Hello?" I say after excusing myself to Willow.

"Hey, it's Dean," Dean says. "Should I come up or...?"

"I'll come down!" I answer quickly and turn to Willow.

"Dean?" she questions and I nod absentmindedly as I try to find my keys. "Wait, what happened to Adam?"

I'm about to make a very short explanation when Fern comes into the hallway, a confused look on her face.

"Fern, this is Willow, my new friend. Willow, this is Fern, my roommate and good, old friend. ShecanexplaineverythingIhavetogobye!"