Chapter 11 - Dirty Secret

It's one hour later. I'm more sober than before, but it's a long shot to say I still won't do something stupid, since Dean has finally let me out of that horrendous back room. Sure, it was nice getting to know him and having a really nice make-out session, but the dust-filled air eventually got to me and I had to leave. When I come out again, the party is better than ever. Some people are even on my level of intoxication.

"Oh, there you are!" Ashley squeals and stumbles over to hug me. I almost fall over but manage to stabilize myself before we both embarrass ourselves.

"You've been looking for me?" I question bemusedly, slowly peeling my more-than-tipsy best friend off me. Funny how the roles have reversed.

"Well, no, not really. Where were you?"

"You sent me off with Dean, remember?" I chuckle and it's like a lightbulb turns on in Ashley's head.

"Riiight, I remember that. OH, HI TINA!"

And she's gone.

I sigh and find myself walking across the room, through the dance floor which ends up being a really bad idea since no one even pays attention to anyone or anything, making it extremely difficult for me to pass. However, when I finally press myself through the throng of people, I can walk properly again.

Once again I am by the buffet and I'm biting into a chocolate-covered strawberry when someone very familiar walks over and takes a strawberry for himself.

"How are you?" Adam asks, and I have a feeling he isn't just being polite. How am I? No, I'm great, thanks for asking. I love having to pretend not to like you at all. I really hope you're having an amazing night with Ashley!

This translates into a curt "I'm fine" in girl-language, so that is what I reply.

"You wanna talk-"

"I said I'm good, Adam!" I hiss in a low voice. "In fact, I'm so good that I made out with someone else just five minutes ago, so please don't look at me like I'm not having fun, because I am!"

I don't know where- Or wait, yes I do know exactly where this is coming from. My drunken self thinks it is a great idea spilling my heart out to Adam at his girlfriend's birthday party. Why wouldn't it be?

Adam looks like he has been physically hit by me. I know I'll regret this in the morning, but right now, I don't find it in me to tell him I'm lying. Maybe it's because my drunken self isn't only a bitch and a little bit of a slut, but she is also honest as hell.

"What?"

"Spare me, Adam," I huff and brush past him. I need air. The room now seems ten times hotter and I'm feeling claustrophobic. Out. I need to get out of here.

A minute later I am bursting through the front door and into the dark, New York night. The chilly air seems to breathe life into me again and all I want to do is scream. Scream at the world and at Ashley and then at Adam. Maybe even a little at Dean for letting me make out with him, even though he doesn't know about Adam. No one does!

"Where are you going?" I hear behind me and I feel like hitting a wall.

"Away from you!" I yell and turn around to face Adam again. He doesn't look as hurt as you would expect him to be, but I can see my words are taking a toll on him. "Adam, I don't want this."

He furrows his brows. "Want what?"

I groan and stomp over to close the door behind us. The worst thing to happen now would be if someone heard us and I don't know how much I can take tonight before I do something I'll regret.