chapter twenty four

Start from the beginning

"Hey Siri, what holds a cupcake in its pan while it bakes?" Carter spoke into my phone and waited for an answer. I looked over to Daniel who had his arms crossed in front of his chest and was pouting. I laughed some more, going over to him and placing a kiss on his cheek. He gave me a smile. Soon, Siri was barking out an answer, "I have found the answer to 'What holds a cupcake in its pan while it bakes.' Cupcake liners are used in several different cupcake recipes across the globe..."

"There you go."

I sighed, "Corbyn! Christina!" Yelling at the top of my lungs so they'd hear me upstairs. They both came rushing down, almost falling as they hit the last step. "What! What happened?!" Christina screeched. "Is everyone okay?!" Corbyn shouted, holding a bat in his hands. I wondered why he always had some sort of weapon ready to hit someone with.

Letting out a 'Pffft' Daniel was on his knees laughing with Carter at his side, slapping his back while laughing. I chuckled at their sight and continued on with what I was gonna say.

"Can you guys go out and get us some cupcake liners and frosting? We're making cupcakes on Carter's last day with us," Christina smiled and nodded, taking her car keys and dragging Corbyn outside with her. "Maya come on!" She screamed, Maya soon came down, her hair tied up in a messy bun. "I guess I'll go, Zach went out to look for Jonah anyways."

They were soon gone, so we got started on our baking. Carter handed me the box and I began reading the instructions. Grabbing my phone, I snapped a quick selfie with Carter and Daniel, captioning, 'Spending time with my favorite boys 💚'

"Mix eggs, oil and milk into baking mix," I read off. Daniel took an egg and taught Carter how to crack one. "Just take it and lightly tap it onto the edge of the counter," He did so and took his thumbs and broke it apart, letting the inside of the egg fall into the bowl. Carter gasped in amazement and mimicked Daniel's teachings. After he cracked the egg on the first try, Daniel high-fived him. "You're a natural! Ayla! Carter is like, the next Gordon Ramsey, I swear," He joked.

I laughed, looking in the bottom cabinets for an electric mixer. Once I found it I handed it to Carter. "Take it away, 'Gordon Ramsey,'" He chuckled and found the switch to turn it on. The whisks started spinning in circles. Carter got scared so he quickly shut it off and set it down calmly.

"Okay buddy, here's how you actually do it." I demonstrated by holding the mixer with one hand and a bowl with the other. "Then you turn it on and just stir in circles like so," The coarse buzz of the machine echoed through the house.

"I think I can do it," He did like I had done. But he had put the mixer too roughly in the bowl which caused some batter to splatter in the kitchen. "Oh, Carter!" I screamed as a chunk of it splashed onto my cheek and a few globs in my hair. Daniel grabbed Carter and pulled him down to shield him and left me standing trying to turn off the mixer. I looked desperately for the mixer and it's off button and couldn't find them. After giving up I let my back drag against the small wall down with the boys. Carter slowly crawled up and I heard the loud booming stop.

He stood up with a plug-in cord in his hand. "You know you could've just unplugged it, right?" He smirked, wrapping it up. "Carter, you may only be 5, but I could totally ground you, mister!" I laughed. Daniel proceeded to check out the batter, "I'll just finish this off by mixing it with a spoon, so we don't make any more of a mess," He shot at me and let a smile past.

"Fine, me and Carter will just clean the kitchen then." I snickered letting a giggle cross. I grabbed two wet rags to clean up the puddles of hardening batter from well- everywhere. "So are you ready to go home?" I asked, wiping up a small patch from the stovetop. Carter was silent.

"Carter?"

He sighed then softly whispered, "What if Mommy is back and she tries hurting me again?" My heart stopped seeing his low face. I set down the rag and Daniel overheard which caused him to put everything down and squat down to our level. I placed both my hands on Carter's shoulders, "Carter, Mom loves you very much. She would never hurt you again," I know it was a lie but, what could I say? My 5-year-old baby brother is practically traumatized all because of my mother who doesn't care for her family.

"You promise?" He gave me those eyes I couldn't look into and lie to at the same time.

"I promise," I paused and pulled him in for a hug, whispering, "I promise that as long as you have me, nothing bad will ever happen to you. Okay?" He nodded and Daniel joined our hug. "Okay, now back to the kitchen. It's clean, we just have to wait for the cupcake liners and frosting!" I exclaimed and clapped my hands together.

"Hey, maybe we can save a cupcake or two for Mommy and Dad," Carter spoke. My heart shattered into a million pieces at the thought of what my mother would do once she laid eyes on my little Carter. Only time could tell what would happen.

-

okay so, longer chapters will be coming back vvv soon, but for now, i'm posting as much as i can!

antyways i hope you guys love it and don't forget to like and comment your thoughts!

love you guys

1/21/18