chapter twenty four

ayla's pov

Walking into the fourth store, I saw tons of rows of dresses. Seeing every color even past the rainbow. I found a light blue dress that caught my eye. I took it off the rack and headed into an empty fitting room. I peeled off my t-shirt and slipped on the dress. It ended mid thigh and had a waist band with a cute lining. Having a small line form on my lips, I walked out and went to look at my reflection in a mirror. I admired the beauty of it, feeling the soft, smooth texture between my thumb a forefinger. Daniel peeked over my shoulder whispering, "You look stunning." Plastering on a fake smile, I wiggled him off my shoulder, leaning for a kiss. Then I turned around, going back into the dressing room.

Trotting as I closed the door. I changed my outfit. I don't know why, but I didn't feel like myself. It was as if a part of me was missing. Daniel noticed too. "Hey, are you okay?" He placed a hand on my waist as we exited the store. My shopping bag dangled from my wrist, "No, but I don't wanna talk about it," I grinned again. He nodded and searched for our friends. After we couldn't find them, we walked the crowded mall all the way back to our car without speaking much. My head leaned against the car window, I reached towards the radio and turned it up.

"Ayla." I looked to Daniel, alert. "I'm here for you, no matter what. You know that right," He spoke seriously, his blue eyes adverted on the road, preparing to take a turn, yet his words and mind on me. I nodded and smiled, "Of course I do."

"Okay. So, tell me what's up," He assured. Pulling up into our driveway. I paused. "Nothing's up, I'm just really anxious about the whole graduation thing. That's all. Nothing to worry about, I swear," I smiled and clicked open the car door. Slamming it behind me as I rushed inside, looking for Carter. Once I saw him I tackled his little body, lifting it high up and crashing onto the couch.

Daniel entered shortly after and joined Carter and I. We put on a Disney movie and Carter took a nap. Scooting closer to Daniel, I looked over at the clock that read 7:39 PM. Jonah still wasn't home. I don't think it was anything to worry about, but it was strange. He was always one to be on time and ready all the time. So, it worried me when he wasn't home yet.

"Daniel, do you think he's okay?" I whimpered hushly. Daniel tightened his grip around me, getting more comfortable. "I'm sure he's fine," He replied. Adjusting our position, he added, "Jonah makes dumb decisions sometimes but, he's street smart. So he should be good," I sighed and reached over to squeeze Carter's hand. He squeezed back, fluttering his eyes open and groaning, "I'm bored, Ayla." Carter sat up, rubbing his eyelids and walked over to the cabinets. Daniel and I watched him open several doors that he seemed to be looking through.

"Carter? Buddy? Whatcha doin there?" Daniel piped as he watched Carter grab a cake box. "Wanna bake some cupcakes?" He squeaked, struggling to grasp his little fingers onto the box to unlatch it. I giggled and got up to go help him, "Well, it is your last full day in LA with us. So why not," I spoke, growing excited to bake with my brother. Daniel followed me to the kitchen at my tail, "Yeah, let's do it!" He agreed.

"Okay, what do we need?" I asked, getting ready to search for ingredients. "First we need 2 eggs,"

"These are gonna be the best cupcakes ever!" Daniel exclaimed hyping Carter up. He hustled over to the fridge and took out two perfectly round, white eggs. "Then we need milk and oil," I searched through the cabinets for oil and Daniel placed the milk carton on the counter. Along with some measuring cups, I grabbed the oil and held them in my hands while Carter read more instructions. "Then we need plastic baggies to put the frostings on."

"Oh, and those cupcake holder things!" Daniel added. Carter and I gave each other and then Daniel a confused look. He shrugged, "What?" We remained silent, "That's what they're called right?" I burst out laughing. "Ayla. It's not funny, I'm asking Siri." Carter threw in Daniel's defense.