chapter 11

The week crept by, Harry and Emma meeting after school to finish the essay. It was easy working together, they were both bright, wanting good grades, they started doing other homework together after finishing with the History project, helping each other out. Jon took a liking to Harry, always having a soft spot for the underdog. Harry didn't bring up Tyler and the killing again, and Emma never asked about it, but it was there, always there standing between them. Even though they have met every day after school for homework, there was this strange politeness they offered one another that real friends didn't. This friendship was strained, it didn't flow like friendships should, and they both felt it. At school they kept a distance, Emma knowing that it's just easier that way. Niall not making faces, and Zayn not dishing out digs at them. Harry seemed happy with this arrangement too, spending his time with Dylan and Nick. Even so for some reason she was hurt by it. She felt the time Harry spent with her was out of kindness to her then out of wanting to be friends.

Emma grew closer to Jennifer and Eleanor, spending most of their time at school together, joined by Niall and Louis when they didn't have football practice.

It was Friday morning, the day of homecoming, that El and Emma sat outside eating their food, as they waited for Jennifer to join them.

Emma's POV

"My dad said it will rain tomorrow," I say, swiping a strand of hair out of my eyes.

"Hard to believe, it is so nice outside," Eleanor replies "Did you finish with your essay?"

"Yeah, a few days ago actually, it's good to have it out of the way," I sigh taking another bite out of my sandwich.

"Dad," Eleanor calls out waving her hands up in the air. I look up to see the football coach walking over to us.

"Hello darling, nice to see you enjoying the sun," He kisses the top of her head.

"Daddy- meet Emma, she's Niall's cousin," Eleanor points at me with a smile.

"You're the chief's daughter, welcome to Holmes Chapel, hope you had a nice welcoming," He shakes my hand.

"Yes, sir, thank you," I smile up at him. The coach looks up spotting the person who made him come outside in the first place "Styles! Wait up! Have a lovely day laidies," He gives El's shoulder a slight squeeze as he walks off to catch up to Harry. We follow him with our gaze. I watch Harry, he doesn't look too happy about the coach approaching him.

"Your dad is the football coach?" I ask, turning back to look at her "I didn't know that."

"Didn't you ever notice my nickname around here? The coach's daughter?" She rolls her eyes.

"Well no.. I know how you feel though.. being the chief's daughter myself," I can tell she is still watching her dad. I turn in time to see him walking away with Harry by his side.

"I wonder what that's all about," I say watching their stride.

"He probably wants Harry back on the team now that he's back," she shrugs.

"Harry used to be on the team?" I did not see that coming.

"He sure did, good player too, channeled all of his aggression into the game, my dad was sad to see him go."

I keep quiet, not sure what to say. The thing about Eleanor is that you couldn't ask her anything about the Styles twins. She shuts down immediately. But once every so often she would speak up and share something from her past with them.

"Can I ask you something?" She suddenly questions.

"Sure."

"Do you think Harry killed his sister?" I glance at the table and then back at her.