Chapter 8

When Emma woke up the next morning her dad was back home. She could hear him and Niall talking football down in the kitchen.

She walked into the bathroom to wash her face and brush her teeth. She gasped when she saw her reflection, her right cheek purple. No way to hid this from her dad. But she couldn't tell him the truth. He was the chief of police here after all. If she'll tell him about the fight she stumbled upon, Tyler and Harry might get into trouble, and she owed Harry.

She walked down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Hi dad," She walked over to kiss his cheek and give him a hug.

Emma's POV

"Hello sweetheart, how was the- what happened to your face?" He exclaims when his eyes fell upon my cheek, leaning forward taking my chin in his hand and turning it sideways for a better look.

"It's really nothing dad," I try, glancing over at Niall for help. Niall raises his brows as if telling me to tell my dad the truth, but I refuse, with a small shake of my head, letting him know he shouldn't tell either.

"This is not nothing! Who did this?" My dad demands to know. He is very protective of me, being a girl and an only child. It became worse after my mum, him smothering me with attention, too scared to lose me too.

"I did it," I claim fast, making Niall cock up his brow again, this time in surprise to my lie.

"How the hell were you able to do such a thing to yourself?" My dad wants to know, not believing me for one moment.

"She did Uncle Jon, you see, the other day we were by Jen's- Jennifer Lawence? Anyway we were hanging out by the pool and-" Niall starts

"I know about the party at the Lawence's," My dad snaps. No shocker there, him being the chief, they must have had a few calls complaining about the noise.

"Well, yeah so, um…" Niall tries to continue, but not sure how to.

"I slipped and fell into the pool," I finally state, squeezing my eyes shut, not sure what I fear more- scared my dad will see right through my lie, or my dad finding out about me falling into the pool.

"You what? Are you ok? Niall did you help her out?" My dad forgot all about my cheek the minute I mentioned me falling in, alarm fills his features. Bringing up me falling into the water was a good idea after all.

"No, Harry pulled me out," I inform, giving him the credit he deserves.

"Harry? As in Harry Styles? The neighbor's kid?" My dad tiltes his head trying to understand.

"Yeah, he jumped in after me, and pulled me out, I was quite scared, trying to you know, not drown that I hit myself in the face," I say fast, going back to my face, realizing bringing up Harry to the chief of police was not such a bright idea.

"This is true," Niall nods, to make my story more believable.

"So you met Harry," dad sighs more to himself then to me. I turn to get me a cup of tea, before joining them at the table. I sit down with the cup between my palms.

"Dad?" I start "What is the story with Harry?" It is time for me to understand why everyone keeps telling me he is bad news and I should keep away.

Dad takes a deep breath exhaling for what seems the longest of time, when he is finally ready he glances up at Niall before turning to me.

"We weren't here when it happened, so I only know what I've been told since he came back home last fortnight," I glance at Niall, he is looking down at the table.