Chapter Sixteen: Nora's Wondrous World

Let Me Take You There - Plain White T's

Chapter Sixteen: Nora's Wondrous World

The day of the Christmas dinner, I found myself in the Norris' backyard setting up the picnic tables by laying down the tablecloth and putting plates and utensils on it. Nora was busy putting up little Christmas decorations on the clothesline, humming Christmas carols as she worked her decoration magic.

"It has to be perfect," she said when the last decoration was hung up. "I want everything to be perfect for when the guests arrive-and that means the table has to be set perfectly too."

I glanced down at my work; crooked tablecloth, plates uneven, utensils in a disarray. "It's just my brother and family showing up. I doubt he cares whether or not the fork and knife are on their proper sides."

Nora rolled her eyes. "Well I do. I want to impress your family so that they don't think mine are complete slobs."

I snorted. "Slobs? Your mom has eight kids. Of course you're slobs." I laughed as she shot me a disgusted look. "Nora. Relax. It's just dinner. We're all going to enjoy a delicious meal, share stories and have a grand old time. Trust me."

This seemed to relax her somewhat. After a deep breath, she nodded and smiled. "You're right. It's just a Christmas dinner. I shouldn't be worrying so much."

I pat her on the back. "That's the spirit! Besides. Your mom's cooking is badass. If I thought her vegetable alfredo was delicious, I'm ready for this dinner to blow my socks off."

Nora giggled uncontrollably just as Anya stepped out into the backyard carrying Jesse in her arms. "Hi Anya! You look beautiful!"

Anya twirled. "Thank you. I've been saving this dress for a special occasion. Josh can't keep his eyes off me," she smirked and pecked Jesse on the cheek. "This little man here didn't want to wear his bow tie but daddy forced him into it, didn't he?"

Jesse looked both cross and ready for a nap but the little red bow tie looked so adorable on him. He even wore a Christmas sweater with reindeer on it.

"Oh Nora. Your mom needs your help in the kitchen. She told me to come get you," Anya said to Nora.

"Okay. Laney, can you fix the tablecloth? It's crooked," Nora told me before slipping back inside the house. So much for not everything has to be perfect....

"How was Christmas morning?" Anya asked me. "Josh and I would've dropped in for a visit but he had to stay with your father in the hospital....you weren't lonely were you?"

I shrugged. Earlier that morning I had woken up to a very empty house and a very bare Christmas tree that I put up myself the day before. Since there were no gifts to unwrap, I made myself some waffles and ate in front of the tv while watching Christmas movies.

Anya frowned. "I'm so sorry, Lane. I should've came to the house and spent some time with you. Jesse would've loved that." She placed a hand on my shoulder and squeezed. "If it's any consolation, I have your Christmas gift right here."

I turned to see her reaching into her purse for something. "You didn't have to get me anything. Seriously. The peace and solitude I got this morning was a gift all in itself."

"Don't be foolish. Here. I, uh....left the gift back at the house because I knew there were eight kids here. It was a disaster waiting to happen and trust me....you don't want to break this gift."