Chapter Ten: Party Hard Or Not At All

Fuck They - Sofi Turner

Chapter Ten: Party Hard Or Not At All

My brother Josh is a complete jerk. I'm only saying that because literally the morning of the San Fran trip, he called and said that he wasn't going to be able to make it out. Naturally, I told him that it was okay and that I had a lot of homework to do anyway (which was a complete lie). He didn't sound too convinced over the phone but after a few minutes of reassuring him that everything was fine, he eventually let it go and left me alone to my own devices. I know he means well.

When I told Nora that the trip was cancelled, her voice sounded a bit defeated over the phone. She tried to sound optimistic though, bless her. But I could tell despite the fake perky tone of her voice that she was disappointed.

"There's always next time, right?" She snorted in an attempt to sound hopeful.

"You're allowed to be disappointed, dude. Hell, I'm disappointed." I shoved a handful of potato chips in my mouth. "I hate it when my brother does that. Says he's going to do something and then he goes and changes his mind. He's like our dad."

Nora sighed. "Don't say that. I'm sure he wanted to take you out just as much as you wanted to go."

"You mean us. He wanted to take us out and we wanted to go."

She was quiet for a moment. "Right. Sorry. Us."

We both went silent then. I could hear all her little baby siblings crying in the background and knew it was my cue to leave. "Well I'll let you go. Sounds like your mom could use a helping hand over there."

"Yeah. I'm sorry about the trip, though. Really-"

"Dude. Don't worry about it. I'm not losing any sleep over it and neither should you-" I stopped mid-sentence. "Hey. Remember that there's a party tonight at Dallas' place. I told you about the party, right?"

"Of course you did. I slipped on his skateboard in the hallway once and everyone laughed."

I didn't know what to say to that. "Yeah....so the party. You should come tonight. It'll be fun."

She cleared her throat. "I don't know, Laney. That doesn't seem like such a good idea."

I tossed my empty bag of chips into my garbage can. Missed it by a foot. "Why not? If anyone says you weren't invited then I'll say I invited you. You gotta at least experience one high school party before you graduate, Nora. It's practically a rite of passage. A mandatory coming of age moment-"

"Okay, okay. Fine. I'll go. But if I get uncomfortable-"

"I'll bring you home. Scout's honor." I held up my hand and rolled my eyes, forgetting that she couldn't see my hands. "I'll pick you up at 8?"

"Sure. Sounds good," she said. "See you then."

After she hung up, I did a bit of reading. I'll admit that I haven't really gotten very far in The Philospher's Stone since Nora gave it to me, but I planned on making up for lost time since the party wasn't until later this evening. If I was lucky and kept up with the motivation, I'd probably get a few chapters in before I had to get ready.

Harry Potter was quite a kid. So far he managed to jump onto the roof of his school, magically grow back his hair after his aunt had cut it and got his cousin trapped in a snake exhibit. This kid was a freaking legend. If I had a shitty family like his I would do all of those things too. Maybe even set the snake on my cousin.

"Maybe I'm a witch? It would explain why the microwave never works when I'm around. I repel electronics," I said to myself as I turned the page. The story was getting interesting. Harry just met this Hagrid dude and got his letter to Hogwarts. Peace out, aunt and uncle. See you again never.