Chapter Twelve: Taking A Bullet

Monday morning was like every other Monday. The only difference was I woke up that morning feeling a sense of satisfaction. The sensation of last night's successful revenge plot must've still been lingering in my blood.

I wonder if Nora felt the same way.

"You alive in there?" A voice said from the front door. "Do I have to call for search and rescue?"

I opened the door to reveal Sam standing in the porch. "Completely uneccessary but it's the thought that counts."

"I only aim to please," he said as he bowed. "Hope you don't mind me poking around here this early. I saw that your dad wasn't here so I thought I'd pop in before we went to school."

He sat down at the island as I made us some breakfast. It was the usual for when my dad wasn't around; eggs, bacon, toast, some hash browns and orange juice. It was our special meal for when my overbearing father wasn't around to complain about the dishes.

"Mmm. Oh god. It's been so long since I ate your hash browns," Sam moaned through a bite.

"Dude. They're frozen hash browns. I just.....toss them into the oven and let them cook. Nothing special." I put some more bacon on my plate. "Same with the eggs and bacon. All store bought."

"Ah. But you see....it's made with love."

I snorted and flicked some egg at him. "Jerk. Now finish up. We're headed to school early today."

"What?" Sam shoved the rest of his breakfast in his mouth. "Why?"

"I want to see if Art got his motorcycle back. Nora's dad is the mechanic that's been working on it all along. Kind of weird how fate works, isn't it?"

Sam shrugged. "I don't believe in fate. I do, however, believe in Art's ass. I don't mean to sound gay but my god he's a work of art. No pun intended."

We both made our way out to his car when I spoke again. "Sam. You are gay. Did you forget or something?"

"No. I just don't want to sound like a stereotypical gay man. You know. Like "oh Sam is checking out everyone's ass again" or "look Sam is wearing a pink polo shirt again today".

"A polo shirt?" I wheezed. "You never wear polo shirts!"

"I know! But thanks to society, they have their stigmas they like to attach to homosexuals. Like you and your plaid shirts. You're a butch lesbian."

I shot him a look as he drove. "Excuse me?"

He grimaced. "Sorry. Some of the guys at school call you that-not that I call you that. The name is rude as hell."

I stared out the window. "Butch? What's next, they're going to think I'm really a male too?" I turned to see him giving me a weird look. "It's complicated. Racism thing."

"Right. But if you were a dude, I would totally be okay with it-"

"Of course you would!" I laughed. He snickered as I hit him on the arm. "Just drive, you jerk. Or this butch is going to beat the shit out of you. And just to be clear, I'm bi."