Chapter Five: Cupboard Under The Stairs

Consider Yourself - Half Moon Run

Chapter Five: Cupboard Under The Stairs

After we finished eating the box of Burt's Beans (or whatever they were called) we headed back inside and changed into our regular clothes for our next class. She had Algebra and I had Drama.

Don't we all?

The classroom was nearly filled as I stepped into the theatre. My absolute favorite teacher in the whole world, Mr. Clemens, stood at the stage tuning his electric guitar and strummed a few notes as he waited for everyone to arrive. The dude was so chill it was unreal; he wore mostly plaid and nicely fitting jeans with motorcycle boots that I envied on another level. The man never brushed his hair or shaved his stubble. Not to mention he was very easy on the eyes.

He looked up as he played a soft tune and smiled. "Hey guys. Got a great class planned for today so if you'll just grab a seat wherever that would be cool."

I took a seat right in the front row. This was probably the one class where I actually enjoyed sitting in the front row.

Clemens, or Art as he liked to be called, set down his guitar and started handing out papers to us. "Today we'll be discussing the history of the moving picture. Aka the movie."

I bit my lip to contain my excitement. I loved movies. Watching them, making them, I loved everything about them. This class was a breeze for me.

"Before mankind had the right technology to make films, way before the first ever projector was ever made, a lot of storytelling relied on the use of improv and props. Theatre was popular. As was puppeteering," Art's low voice explained to us. Did I mention he also had a nice voice? Well he does. "If you brought the modern movie making technology we have now back in-let's say the medieval times-you'd more than likely be prosecuted as a witch."

A few of us snickered at the thought of knights sitting around a tv and watching a 3D movie.

"You laugh but I guarantee you that would be the case. In fact, there was actually a time in that particular era where movies almost became a thing...."

Class flew by in the blink of an eye. Since it was now lunch time, I stayed behind to help Art tune his guitar. He also taught band class too.

"Sam said you're considering joining the band again?" He asked as I strummed my bass.

"Thinking about it," I shrugged. "But nothing's 100% certain yet. Sam's just getting overexcited."

Art laughed. "He ran in here this morning and gave me the news. Didn't believe it myself so I had to ask you to confirm the rumor. I'm happy for you, kiddo."

He played a few notes from a classic Fall Out Boy song and I followed suit. The guy was a legend with the electric guitar. He could listen to a song and play the exact notes perfectly. It was called 'perfect pitch' but I called it a gift from God. He always laughed at this.

"If the gig's on Saturday, how do you expect to learn all the songs?" He asked mid riff.

"Dude. The band has three songs. They're short as hell. Plus they don't even have decent names."

"Like?"

I used air quotes for the song titles. "That Was My Packet Of Ketchup You Wanker."

Art threw his head back and laughed. God, he was so handsome. Too bad he was 30 and I was 17. "I can't wait to hear the full album once you guys are done. I'd buy it."

"You're joking."

"Nope. I'm Running With Scissors' number one fan."

"Is that what they're going as now?"