Deleted Scene II: Blood and Water

September 1856

The clouds dissipate and a stage comes forth, one that I thought never I'd see again.
Fire crackles in the parlour room where four individuals sit.

My hands curl into fists at seeing the one with raven hair and pitch black eyes.

Dannoso Maleece laughs at something his companion says.

The person's green eyes and red hair glows like embers as he glances at the fireplace.

Red headed Henry and Dannoso?

Please, that is not me. Look closer.

A giggle echoes, but in my head.

And stop giggling, Kathleen.

Squinting my eyes, the person seems a bit different than Henry now, other than just the hair. Henry's eyes seem more peaceful and collected, but this person's seem more like the silence before a storm.

Then it suddenly clicks.

One of the two women-- one almost the copy of Kathy and Matthew-- at the other side stands up and goes to Percival, placing a hand on his shoulder. He turns around with a smile.

“Marietta and I will have to take leave now. Mother’s already waving her cane from outside.”

“Send her mine and Harriet's regards, Estelle.” He takes her hand and swiftly kisses it.

“She will come in the morn to see how poor Harriet’s doing with her fever.” Estelle frowns a bit, her hand still remains on Percival's shoulder.

“I wouldn't expect anything less.” He squeezes her hand.

I look away, as the smile grows larger on Estelle's face.

But then my focus on the floor breaks with Elizabeth, the house maid, hurries in with the women’s cloaks.

Both Percival and Dannoso stand up, as the women take their cloaks.

Walking out, Marietta glances back at Dannoso with a smile.
He bows and nods, as she leaves the room. Estelle looks in between the two with tightened lips, but makes no comment.

“I think it is time for my departure, as well,” sighs Dannoso.
He takes a few more steps, but Percival's hand on his elbow stops him. Dannoso looks at the intrusion with a raised brow.

“I still have so many matters to discuss with you, Dannoso.” Percival lets go of Dannoso’s arm and proceeds to the fireplace, looking at the flakes of fire left.

“And they are?” Dannoso asks.

“Why the haste, cousin?”
Percival turns around, hands wrapped behind his back.
“Truth be told, I never thought I'd see Aunt Adelia’s child. The one who died with her at the news of the untimely death of her husband.”

Dannoso just stares at Percival, but then a grin grows on his face.
“I should have known you'd figure it out sooner or later.”

“And I also know you have a lunatic uncle back in Italy, some estates here and there with no conceivable background and quite a mysterious past.
A past that surely Marietta's parents would like to know.”

The grin on Dannoso’s face falls into a solemn line.
“How do you know all this?”

Percival rolls his eyes, walking over to the table with a bottle and two glasses. He pours red wine into the latter.
“Knightleys are a resourceful breed.”