53. Blizzard

“Excuse me, can you tell me where Mr and Mrs Rosen are?”

I try to keep my voice as low as possible while still being audible to the receptionist in front of me. The receptionist’s whole person is veiled by the desktop in front of her. She holds up a finger, and I hear her typing away.

After my wooing Ms Bragge into telling me where Mum’s parents are, she texted me an address. Though, I have now arrived at my destination after getting lost once, asking two people for direction(one of them even asking whether I was new to the city or not), and three wrong turns.

I turn around and see several people sitting on the metallic blue seats, minding their own business. A child makes faces at his inattentive father typing on a tablet, while a girl, a few years older than me, keeps checking on the oblivious guy reading a book.

A man strides in from some ward, stops, and looks at me while scratching his head.

Without giving him a proper glance,  I turn again towards the receptionist and she slides her head from the computer with a warm smile.
“Ward Four: Room number eight. Go straight and then right. If you get confused, then just ask a nurse on duty.

“By the way, love, I’ve never seen anyone visit the Rosens besides one particular brute. Mind if I ask what you are to them?
Also, I can’t let you in without an adult if you’re under eighteen.”

My head turns around, and the man who stopped earlier is now nearing the desk. I glance at the marble desk in front of me.
“I’m a relative. I’m not eighteen, but it’s urgent for me to go.”

“Sorry, love. Hospital rules.”

I am about to protest more, but the man from behind leans in at a suitable distance and says,
“Hi there, Ms Collins. I see you’ve met my niece.” He nods at me.

That's when I squint my eyes and realise it's Uncle Gary.
My arms drop to my sides.

Why's he here?

Uncle continues, “I’ll be taking her to the Rosens. Thanks for understanding.”

He smiles at her, and gestures for me to move forward. I blink several times, while the receptionist only says that it’s all right.

I’m not going to get a better chance than this…

I go with the flow and nod at the receptionist. Uncle then smiles and ambles ahead. I stay a few steps back with my arms across my chest.
"Uncle."

Without having to further explain, he turns around and smiles.
"Haven't seen you in a while, Lindsey. How's my favourite neice?"

I start walking forward and so does he.
"I'm your only neice, Uncle." A sideway smirk encases my face.

"Makes favouritism easier then." He goes on merrily.

Shaking my head, I look about myself.

This hospital is much more alive than Edenfield with all the doctors, nurses and people strolling through the partially white halls. Awareness posters and several notices hang on the walls. Some are medical examination datesheets.

The scent isn’t like the overwhelming odour of drugs usually described. The smell of medicinal cleansing is still there, but the soft touch of jasmine overshadows it.

Blinking, I wonder...

Then comes a sudden shift.
A figure with black hair and beige skin walks past us, and turns around a corner. Making me stop.

For a second there, I thought I saw Mr Alam…

“Well, come on.” Uncle stops at my stationary figure, and my eyes blink a few times at the corner before asking,
“I... Aunt Sara's all right, right?" My sweaty palms rub against my jacket.