24. Chandelier

Henry and Isabelle look forward and both of them enter the ball room.

A man with a scroll in his hands looks up and announces,

"Mr Henry Fitzwilliam Knightley and his sister, Ms Isabelle Clarice Knightley."

The rest of us also enter the ball room. The only differnce between the guests coming and us is that our names aren't being announced.

Henry and Isabelle stand a short distance from their parents.

I also see Meredith with a few other women talking. Her dress is violet and she is wearing dark purple gloves. There is white lace on the neck with a black bow. Her dress is also short sleved with a deep neck.

Her hair is in an updo with her curls falling half way through her back

Her skin tone looks even more corpse like in this get-up.

Henry turns around and looks at our direction. He gives a swift smile before Isabelle says,
"Who are you looking for?"

Henry looks at his sister and a grin plays on his face.
"Just a mutual friend of ours. I think he has not come, yet."

Isabelle rolls her eyes and says in a monotune,
"Have you talked to Meredith about the matter?"

Henry's face suddenly becomes serious and he says,
"That matter has been dealt with, sister. I assure you that I was quite clear on it."

Isabelle nods and they both start greeting the guests around them.
They make light chit chat with them and move on to the next.

After for what seems like an hour, they return to their former positions near their parents.

"This is why I hate these balls," Henry says as he takes a glass of white wine from a waiter.

"I do not even drink that much. I only do it for show."

He swirls the glass in his fingers, making the translucent liquid move in a spiral.

Isabelle laughs at this and then becomes serious.
"And we would not want you to risk your health only for society obligations. Afterall, this ball is held in celebration of Father's arrival and it would not be advisable for you to do so."

"I know that but it is the only way that I can avoid talking to guests. Have we ever extracted a single piece of useful information taken from these meaningless chats?"

"No, but we are obligated to such occasions due to society norms. Perhaps, one day, we shall not be posed to act as if we enjoy these."

As Isabelle finishes, both of them break into a hearty laughter. But they straighten themselves, before drawing any unwanted attention.

"We both sound like pretentious aristocrats, do we not."

Isabelle's right wrist shakes a bit and she puts her left on it.
Henry steps in front of her till the shaking subsides.