"Of course. I'm interested to see what you think of it. This was found among my brother's papers after he was killed and it was given to me while I was in Bath."

We both sat on the settee and I brought out the cipher. Her eyes widened as she took in the numbers. Color drained from her cheeks. "Oh. I see now why you believe the paper you found in the office was relevant."

"Jonathan was working as an agent for the government when he was killed," I explained so that she would know the whole of it. "He was seeking a traitor in English society who was aiding Napoleon. I did not know this until recently. I can only assume that the cipher was an encoded message he intercepted."

"My husband may be in league with traitors?" Lady Leith's tone was one of horror.

"It could be Sir Horace worked with Jonathan and has continued the work after my brother's death," I said to reassure her. "I didn't want to jump to any conclusions so you shouldn't either."

"Yes. Yes, of course, you're right." Lady Leith took a deep breath and straightened her shoulders. "And please don't think I have forgiven you for sneaking into my husband's office and going through his papers."

"The thought never crossed my mind." Though I'd begun to hope my little escapade would not be brought back up again. "I'm sorry to have trespassed on your goodwill."

She shook her head. "I do understand why you did what you have done and, as I also said, I may have done the same. When this is all over, however it ends, I do expect an apology." Her smile lessened the sting of her words.

"I will happily apologize if my suspicions are unfounded."

"Is there no other clue you've found? Anything that could give us a chance at solving this riddle."

"I'm afraid nothing definite," I said, shifting the papers so the second note was revealed. "This one I solved with a sonnet by Shakespeare, but so far I have not found the key to solving the other. The one that was solved was signed with only a letter: H'. So there is that."

Understanding filled her expression as she sat back. "And that's why you suspect my husband. Because his name begins with that letter."

"Yes. My brother, as far as I knew, knew only a handful of people who had a name that began with that letter of the alphabet." With a sigh, I shook my head. "However, it is likely I do not know every friend Jonathan had. It has been made clear I didn't know him as I thought I did. He was involved in something I never would have imagined."

Leaning back, Lady Leith tapped her fingers on the arm of her chair. "I see. So there was more reason for you to come here than to escape the Dunbars."

To my relief, there was no judgement in her tone. "It was providential you offered me the position. I thought if I could rule out one friend, it would be something. One step, however small, toward the truth."

"I assume you have compared this unsolved note to other Shakespearean sonnets?"

"What few I know by memory. I have not found any success."

"Well, if you are willing to accept help, I will apply myself to the task of deciphering it. I will find some reason to spend time in my husband's office and search out what I can find. Between the pair of us, we ought to discover the truth behind this horrible conspiracy."

We both stood up and faced each other. "Are you sure?" I couldn't help but ask. "You may not like what you discover."

"Miss Sinclair, you could have discovered those rumors about your father were true. As it is, you have learned things about your family that would alarm any person." Lady Leith raised her chin. "I can do no less. I am prepared to learn whatever truth about my husband there is for me to find."