Chapter 4

Everything was back to normal after a very long time in the precinct. The atmosphere was back to being  mellow, with the detectives relaxing at their respective tables. Two huge murder cases were solved after being accused by the media for their lack of compassion towards protecting the general public.

The Shales finally went on a long due vacation and the rest of them spent their time at the precinct, working on regular murder cases and hitting the club at night.

“Thank you for the amazing trip, Will. This was the most memorable one.” Naomi said cheerfully, a big smile on her face.

They were pretty stressed over the past two weeks, dealing with convicts and drug addicts, chasing down potential suspects, you name it. Nothing could be better than going on a trek and taking in the beauty of the nature.

“You deserved a break, I am glad we did this.” Said Will smiling back at her.

Even a three days break was enough to bring Naomi back to being cheerful, thought Will happily.

As soon as they came back, they made their way to the precinct. Nothing could keep them away from their work. A smile made it’s way across Naomi’s face as she took in the atmosphere of the precinct. No one had been so relaxed in a long time. She looked towards Chris especially, and saw him smiling at his phone and thought that he was recovering. It had been really rough for him.

“Hey, here’s the favorite couple!” said Seb as he stood up to hug Will.

“How was your trip?” asked Chris who slid his phone in his pocket and went over to greet them.

“It was THE BEST TRIP EVER!” Naomi said jumping and Will let out a chuckle.

“ You alright man?” Will asked Chris.

“I have made my peace with it, I guess. Whatever happened, happened. No one could’ve stopped it. But finding the murderer has given me peace.” said Chris as he gave a small smile.

Will patted his back with a proud look on his face, happy that Chris was finally being mature about it. 

“So what did we miss?” asked Naomi.

“Just a couple of stuff here and there. Eleanor and Mike are dealing with it.” Seb said as he smiled. He was the happiest with their return.

“I am so glad the case is over. It was so stressful for all of us, especially with media bombarding us with questions and printing whatever they liked.” Naomi frowned when she said media.

The meeting and greeting was interrupted by a phone call and everyone looked at the direction where it was ringing.

Seb went over and picked it up.

“Hello?” there was a long pause before anyone spoke on the other side. All Seb could hear was heavy breathing.

“You know if this is some sort of prank call, you’re in deep trouble mate.” Seb said in a threatening voice.

“I have some information.” The person on the other side spoke for the first time, his voice as low as a whisper.

“What information?” Seb said as he narrowed his eyes.

“About Trevor and Megan’s death…” his voice trailed off.

Seb gasped. Just when they thought it was all over.

“Okay, come over to the precinct and testify.”

“No! It’s safer if you showed up, please…” the unknown voice pleaded.

Seb thought for a minute and replied, “Alright, we’ll be there. If this is false news, I’m going to hunt you down.” He said as he jotted down the address given by the unknown caller.