Chapter 8: Olive Branches & Fruit Punches

Sorry, it took so long to update! Here it is!

Chapter 8:

Olive Branches & Fruit Punches

Just as any other human wants to be awoken in the morning, I was awoken with high pitched squeals about finding the right socks for Leah's outfit and cramps in weird places

Just as any other human wants to be awoken in the morning, I was awoken with high pitched squeals about finding the right socks for Leah's outfit and cramps in weird places. There was a stiffness in my neck as I turned on the firm mattress. For something that was inflatable, it provided no cushion. 

As I forced open my eyes, I saw that it way too early for me to even start thinking about getting ready for school. I brought myself out of bed knowing that I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep amidst the commotion. 

"Avery, you're still not ready yet. Get dressed, I'll be leaving in a few to drop you kids off," I heard my father say as he came to the door.

His hair was a bit disheveled and in the light, you could see a little gray starting to peek out of the forest of brown. As he stood there fiddling with his cuffs, I managed to stand up and find him much more disorganized than he was yesterday on our porch.

 "Does your office have a policy of not buttoning shirts to the right holes?" I said as the scent of morning breath reached my nose causing me to immediately shut my mouth.

"What?" My dad asked with confused expression looking down to realize the unevenness of his shirt sides.

"Wait, why am I going to school now? The commute isn't two hours," I raised my eyebrows slightly annoyed at the fact that I was missing precious hours of sleep.

"Yes, but Leah has cheerleading practice in a few. Since I'm coming home late tonight, I was hoping that you and I could talk before school. So, quickly go get ready," With that, he was gone as he began muttering some incoherent phrases to himself.

I heard creaks on the staircase as he went downstairs. Begrudgingly, I shifted my feet and shuffled them towards the duffle bag stuffed with clothes. Apparently, in the rush of things, I had stuffed mostly pajamas rather than regular clothes. So, with my limited resources, nothing matched each other except for a skirt to the color of some shorts. I resorted to putting on some long shirt with a unicorn- that seems to be farting a rainbow- when I wear too often to bed paired with some jeans. The shirt got tucked in and partially covered by an oversized cardigan that conveniently lacked a zipper.