Chapter 6: Back With The Hello's & Dessert

Chapter 6:

Back With The Hello's & Dessert

I stood on the front porches of Evan's house with my feet just slid into the sneakers and my hands holding five stacks of casserole dishes

"So, why couldn't you have carried this over?" I asked Leah who stood next to me holding nothing.

When her mother had called me downstairs, I was given the honor of carrying snacks she had bought for Leah's practice over to the West household. Step-mama Janet had to go to a beauty parlor for some dinner thing with my father and Leah's arms obviously didn't work. Thus, I had to stop everything I was doing and be at their service. I didn't have it in me to fight over something this minute.

"Well, I have practice right now with the girls and those are heavy. I didn't want to tire myself out. I have to give a 100% at the practices," she said looking at her newly painted sparkly nails.

"Right, I totally forgot about that. Silly me," I said as I rolled my eyes disappointed at myself for expecting a better answer.

There was an aroma of mac & cheese mixed with a hinting of chicken wings that radiated all the way outside. That alone was enough to bring water to my mouth. As I heard the door open, those smells had heightened.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. West. You look lovely. I brought some desserts for later that my mom made," With those few words, Leah was off on her away leaving me to attend to the dishes.

"Well, hello to you too, dear," I heard a warm voice respond as I was busy trying to make sure nothing falls out of my hand.

"Here, let me help you with those. Avery? Is that you? It's been so long," Mrs. West said as she gently took three of the dishes out of my hands.

There was a warmth in her voice. Compared to the rest of the West family, Mrs. West was a petite woman who had a kindness to her demeanor. Her floral dress was messed up a little with dirt and covered slightly by her apron.